Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Growing Up

At an international conference in August of 1976, President Gerald Ford stated:
There are no adequate substitutes for father, mother, and children bound together in a loving commitment to nurture and protect. No government, no matter how well-intentioned, can take the place of the family in the scheme of things.
For most of my life or at least the time in which I have been aware of who Gerald Ford is I have believed his statement. I have spent the majority of my life believing that nothing replaces the family. I also deeply believed a statement from a former president of the Mormon Church: "No success can compensate for failure in the home." True, to a certain extent, but let me tell you why I no longer believe these two statements to be completely true...the public education system.

I wish I could explain how deeply I believe this, but this is not the proper medium nor is a political blog with readership that looks specifically for political analysis and critique the place for such a deep discussion.

These quotes are part of a much larger theme in my life. In the last little while I feel as if I have done a whole lot of growing up. I no longer get mad about yellow ribbons plastered on cars and feel the overwhelming need to post about it. I no longer have the need (or I suppose the time) to post pictures of whatever I have rearranged in my apartment, though the rearranging continues. I no longer really care what people think of me when I say that I listen to Big & Rich because they are plain crazy or that really nerdy books make me happy. I'll sob when Gerald Ford dies and everyone will just have to deal with it. I'll tell you that I love Arlen Specter and Robert Byrd because I have a greater appreciation for history than I ever have had for politics and everyone will just have to get over it, no matter how senile Senator Byrd becomes. And I'm going to continue to say how much I love public education because I can and because it is the reason I am where I am today.

If this is growing up, maybe it is a good thing.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I always thought David O. McKay's statement, "No other success can compensate for failure in the home," was primarily directed towards parents. Meaning that if parents succeed at everything but being a good parent, it would never make up for their shortcomings as a parent. Is that how you read it?

Adam Graham said...

Tara, I hate to say it, but who says your blog isn't the proper forum for something. It's your blog.