Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Moveable Feast

I have the overwhelming desire to post lyrics again today. If I were to post lyrics I would go with James Blunt's "Tears & Rain."

Unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I had a truly political thought in my brain. It's been awhile to be quite honest.

I could quote Oscar Wilde for hours on end as well. Clearly not a political undertaking, though possibly controversial as everything with Mr. Wilde tends to be. I could bring your attention to page 20 of The Picture of Dorian Gray instead, but that would require one having the exact edition of the book that I have. Supposedly the greatest wisdom of the entire book resounds in one sentence: "Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them." How true.

Again, nothing political here.

I was asked a question today pertaining to a Hemingway book and I was wrong. I was wrong about Hemingway. I suppose I should receive credit for spelling Hemingway correctly. Only one person in the world will appreciate that--and for this I am so glad. Glad, the word is horribly simple. Is there anything as mundane?

The English language in all its perplexities...not political. Unless you speak Spanish.

I miss the Expos. The Nationals are great, but they aren't the Expos. I miss other things as well: wins in the Braves' column, wondering if Ted Williams' final homer (and hit) was #519 or #521, and of course there is the ever present absence of my own concern for which game I may miss if I choose one meeting or another. It just hasn't been the most memorable baseball season, has it?

There is not even a feasible way to blame this on Iran, Iraq, or anything political for that matter.

Clearly I have had much on my plate this week (and in weeks prior) that has prevented any truly political commentary. Similar to how Hemingway referred to Paris, I have encountered a personal roadblock, perhaps life lesson, that will remain with me for awhile. Like Paris, "wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you."

Politics can wait.

No comments :