Sunday, September 17, 2006

TDIH: U.S. Constitution

**Editor's Note: Either Blogger is experiencing delays or it has a personal vendetta against my love for the Constitution.

On this day in 1787, the U.S. Constitution was adopted by the Philadelphia Convention.

I agree with the previous statement suggesting that it doesn't matter how many copies of the Constitution a person owns, but rather how much knowledge of the Constitution that person possesses. However, for me, I love the various copies of the Constitution. Of my own copies I have a favorite--it is a simple hardbound blue copy that was given to me by a professor several years ago when I visited Dallas, Texas. He was impressed that I mentioned my favorite amendment is the twenty-fifth and that I am perplexed by the mention of treason in Article III due to the very fact that the signers of the Constitution were committing treason against the British throne.

This leads to the previous question of how many copies of this beautiful document I own. The answer is: I'm not entirely sure. Months ago I counted and reached a number nearing ten copies, but that was without the copies within reference books and text books. I suppose if you counted those the number would be between fifteen and twenty. And since I last counted, I have acquired three new copies, not to mention a book I received last night with the story of each of the signers of the Constitution.

Why does a person need this many copies of the Constitution? Well, I suppose the average person doesn't, but I do. Why? Like Senator Robert C. Byrd, I have an overwhelming respect and reverence for this founding document. In his book, Senator Byrd says he carries a copy in his shirt pocket. I don't carry a copy in my shirt pocket, but have a copy in my backpack, my car, and my wallet. Not because I need to refer to the Constitution on a regular basis or that I don't feel secure in my knowledge of the Constitution, but rather because it is comforting to know that as a free-citizen of the United States I am protected by numerous rights regardless of where I am--in my car, at school, at the store, in my home, or while traveling. It is the beauty and brilliance of the document that causes me to invest in having so many copies.

In celebration of Constitution Week at ISU we had a team trivia competition. The College Democrats came in 2nd place behind the Law Club. I must admit to missing a question--one that asked for the youngest signer of the Constitution. It was apparent to me the second after I said "Rutledge" that he was the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence and that Dayton was the correct answer. Trivia is trivia. I did know that Article III addresses the act of treason and had I not been too embarrassed to do so, I could have easily recited the Preamble.

I hope you all have taken a moment to reflect on the U.S. Constitution this day among others.

No comments :