Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Where Was I Going With This?

Recently I was given a copy of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Now, I may not agree with the man 100% on tough issues, but I certainly respect his straight-forward attitude. Ender's Game has been a decent read thus far--I haven't had the time to finish it and have been distracted by much larger tasks. I won't bore you with a book review tonight, I only want to direct your attention to Orson's latest post.

Unrelated to politics, I know. There seems to be a pattern emerging in my recent posts. No longer is my head (or heart for that matter) in the realm of politics or history, it is residing in that realm of pure survival. The survival instinct is odd. It makes me read Orson Scott Card and eat Pop Tarts ®. Not that either are a totally bad idea, just not like me. The major pattern is that of education. My own education has and continues to get me through obstacle after obstacle. In times when I am really struggling my attention turns toward the importance of education.

Directing your attention to Orson came about because of something I read earlier today that I found particularly interesting: "When I was a kid, I loved school. Because I was good at it, and so were my teachers." I suppose I'm not too bad of a student, so I connected with what he was saying, but what I really connected with was his statement about his teachers. So were mine, Orson. So are mine.

Occasionally things come up in my life that just blow my mind and I am forced into this realization that I have had unbelievable support and guidance from amazing teachers--that support and guidance has done wonders and continues to do wonders for me. There is more to being a teacher than giving a lecture every day and sending a kid home with a stack of homework. Being a teacher is shaping the lives of those who need shaping the very most. Being a teacher means always being a mentor, at times a guidance counselor, when needed a disciplinarian, often a friend, and potentially a hero.

I have had four teachers in just about 16 years of formal education that I can say have been for me a mentor when I needed a mentor, have offered guidance when I felt quite alone, have taught me discipline as well as have gotten after me when I needed it most, they are/were friends and I hope they realize that, and all four of them are my heroes. They deserve just as much, if not more, to be on my list of heroes with Rosa Parks, Adlai Stevenson, Ray Charles, Carl Sandburg, and my little brother.

Each of them have been on my mind lately, some more than others, and all of them have turned up as the topic or at least the inspiration for many of my posts. I don't know where this was going or if I even had a point to make, but Orson Scott Card's post really hit home with me today (at least that one part).

If we can't write about what we really love and feel comfortable with it, then what is the point in writing or having a blog? Politics isn't everything.

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I'm sick of politics myself. All I really want to write about is Romantic (Capital R as in the period, not the sappy love type) poetry. Do what you want.

I love Ender's Game by the way. A great read.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, Shelley, and Keats?

Anytime you want to talk about the Romantic poets, I'd be happy to, Nick.

Nick Speth said...

I love Blake, and Wordsworth. I haven't been able to read "Ryme of the Ancient Mariner" the same since I was told you could sing the whole thing to the tune of "Gilligan's Island," but I still love Coleridge, and "Ryme" is a fantastic piece, even is it made Wordsworth uncomfortable. I must admit it didn't really fit in with the Lyrical Ballads.

Incidentally, my roommate declared "Ryme" and "Kubla Kahn" to be "proof that drug use can improve artistic creativity," which is an awful thing to say, but probably true.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Nick, I'm a Shelley fan. I had heard the Gilligan's Island rumor, but didn't know you could actually sing it to the tune of Gilligan's Island. That's kind of scary that someone took the time to figure it out!