Saturday, October 14, 2006

Smorgasbord Saturday

October is my favorite month. As they say, I live for this!

You have to wonder if Frank Thomas is done now. The A's lost today to the Detroit Tigers which means the Tigers are moving on to the World Series and perhaps the Big Hurt is headed for retirement. You really can't be sure with these guys, though. Case in point--Julio Franco. I assumed he would retire, hell, the man is 48 (that's not just old for a baseball player, but for any pro-athlete), but he's still around these days pinch hitting for the New York Mets. Maybe there's hope for Thomas afterall and the money is always there for guys like Frank and Julio. So many GM's have a bigger sense of baseball history and love these guys for who they were--not who they are now. If I were a GM, there's no telling how much money I'd spend to have the older guys around--guys like Smoltz, Piazza, Thomas, and if Ryan and Ripken were still around I'd probably snag them too.

I get pretty crazy about baseball when the postseason rolls around. What? You hadn't noticed? Really? So the other night I was trying to think up a list of my top 10 favorite players. Do you know how hard that is? I can tell you for certain that Hank Aaron is #1. No question there. The more I thought about it the more I thought I had to pick Ozzie Smith, but then I thought about Johnny Bench. Finally I just decided I could only make a list of my top 5 catchers: #5 Javy Lopez, #4 The Pudges (Ivan Rodriguez and Carlton Fisk), #3 Mike Piazza, #2 Roy Campanella, #1 Johnny Bench. Honorable mentions go out to Estrada, Lo Duca, and Varitek, but none of whom I consider old enough to count, yet.

Thursday night I attended a lecture at ISU by Dr. Ron Hatzenbuehler--it was awesome! And I say this not only from my nerd perspective, but from the position of someone who firmly believes one of the greatest things about campus communities is the opportunity to attend these sorts of events. Keep an eye out for great happenings on campus and I highly encourage you all to attend.

There was something else I wanted to add to my usual Saturday randomness, but I can't seem to remember what it was--didn't have to do with baseball, this much I know. Hmm...oh well. I'm sure there will be another post soon. Until then, catch some baseball.

2 comments:

Adam Graham said...

I doubt will be retiring. The A's have offered him a 2 year contract and his agent has declined as they want a 3 year deal. Not a sign of someone who's going to retire.

Adam Graham said...

I would also agree re: old players. I wish a Major League team would sign Rickey Henderson so he could get to 300 homers.