Thursday, November 23, 2006

Gratitude


I am thankful for the Idaho blogging community; Especially thankful for Jill and Julie, who I look up to in many respects and truly look to as wonderful writers and more importantly wonderful moms.

I am thankful for my own good health, but more importantly for the good health of those I care about and modern medicine that keeps them in my life.

I am thankful for Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and Howard Dean who have reminded me that the Democratic Party is still very much alive.

I am thankful for the 14 residents, my friends, at the assisted living center where I am the houseparent, who love me no matter what. When I walk in the door they're happy to see me whether or not I have only a few seconds to say hi or if I have time to lounge on the couch and watch Jeopardy! with them.

I am thankful I have the ability to recognize that even in the most difficult of circumstances, there are great opportunities, doors being opened along the way.

I am thankful the Democrats now control both houses of Congress.

I am thankful for my younger brother who reminds me every single day of what children are capable of and what we as adults are capable of overcoming. His friendship is something I wouldn't trade the world for and has made me understand that line in Train's "Drops of Jupiter" about your best friend sticking up for you even when he knows you were wrong.

I am thankful for the Stallings Collection, my saving grace. The heartbreaking stories I've been reading in the casework files lately have reminded me of how much I truly have to be thankful for.

I am thankful we only have 2 years left of the Bush administration.

I am thankful for my grandparents. For my grandmother who made me a Democrat and taught me to love reading, even intense reading about the Kennedy assassination. For my grandfather who makes me laugh until my sides ache and who has taught me about true love because after fifty years of marriage he continues to love my grandmother deeper than any love I've ever known.

I am thankful for Jim Hansen, Jerry Brady, and Larry Grant for putting their lives on hold to run the toughest races of their lives and for showing Idahoans that politics in this state won't always be so one-sided.

I am thankful for Idaho State University, mostly the History Department.

I am thankful for a handful of friends who have had to answer their phones more times in the last two weeks than they ever cared to.
I am thankful President Ford is still with us.

I am thankful for a box from Arkansas that arrived when I needed it most. Even more thankful for the sender.

I am thankful for Joyce Carol Oates.

I am thankful for the two greatest pieces of advice I've received this year and perhaps in my entire life, one of which came from a 14 year old boy who is wise beyond his years and believes wholeheartedly that some people can change and the other from a very strong woman who I admire greatly. Their advice could not be nearly as useful to anyone else, but will forever live in my memory.

I am particularly thankful on this Thanksgiving to have somewhere to be.

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

And I'm thankful SOMEONE has something valuable to say anymore. I haven't forgotten NDN, I just don't have anything.

Thanks for reminding us all that Thanksgiving isn't Turkey Day, but a time to reflect on how blessed we are.