Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Referendum Results Annulled

Tonight the ASISU Senate ruled the recent referendum results null and void. This is a huge victory for those of us who absolutely doubted the validity of the results based on the election being compromised and the ballot language being blatantly biased. Though I am highly disappointed in five senators who wanted to hide the Association's monumental mistake by certifying the election results, I think we are on track to have a serious discussion about our constitutional role as student leaders and are well on our way to fixing the problems that exist within ASISU. There is more to be said on the night, but I'm still recovering and know an ASISU Supreme Court case lies in my near future.

4 comments:

Jared Larsen said...

Wow, seems like Idaho legislative bodies just love to overturn the results of ballot initiatives. First term limits in 2002, now this at ISU. Its pandemic!

Tara A. Rowe said...

In my mind there wasn't a choice to be made here--if an election was clearly compromised, the results should then be null and void. Do the results, however off they may be, represent the students voice? Yes, absolutely. And there is a clear mandate now to work on passing a revised constitution. We also know without a doubt that students will not support a fee increase for a swimming pool, end of story.

Jared Larsen said...

I'm sure you did the right thing, Tara. I was simply joking.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Sorry, Jared. I tend to be a bit defensive these days. Can't imagine why! ;) I guess being on the front page of the Idaho State Journal two days in a row gets to a person...