Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Surreal

I have spent a year of my life getting up every morning, turning on the news, and checking the status of President Ford. It is unbelievably strange to me that I, a Democrat, respected President Ford more than any other man who has held that office.

I was up all night watching the coverage. Took extensive notes, even. This is something I knew was coming, yet I'm still a bit numb. America has lost a patriot.

There are so many things I would like to say, but I can't quite put them together. Soon. My head is muddled this morning as I grapple with a newspaper article I am writing to run on Sunday, a letter of resignation that needs to be submitted to the ASISU Senate today, and then of course the sleep deprivation adds to the haze.

2 comments:

Darryl said...

You're resigning?

Not sure why you're considering it (or why you have decided on resigning, since it sounds like a done deal). Being busy with other important stuff is a good reason. Deciding the work you're doing really won't matter... also good.

But don't resign to make a visible gesture. Like Carter selling off the presidential yacht, it's a gesture that'll be forgotten too quickly. Better to stay around and become a loud dissenting voice and the proverbial sand in the gearbox of bureaucracy until your term ends. Sometimes the only good that a good person can do is to poke fingers in dikes (or eyes) to forestall the inevitable.

Jessica said...

It is certainly a loss for the Senate and for ISU students. Tara is the best Senator there is.