Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Day in Review

By default you all get to hear about the "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" I have had.

I began the morning with the offer of a bar of soap. Why, you ask? Because as I was walking out the door to start my car I tripped and offered up every expletive I had in my vocabulary's arsenal for such an event. Unfortunately, there were listening ears. My first thought was not at all concerned with the words spewing out of my mouth, but rather that I better not crack my lip open any more than it already is or knock any teeth out of my head.

Before the story continues, a word on my split lip. I had an incident with my retainer the other night which more or less can be summed up by two statements of caution: Do not grind your teeth and if you ever have to pull a retainer wire out of your lip, pull up rather than out.

After a gracious offering of waffles, I got in my now very warm car and headed off to the archives. I didn't make it more than three blocks when I realized I'd forgotten my cell phone.

For the most part, I was alone in seclusion today. Thankfully in the morning, I had some company in the archives (an area of the library that already makes you feel as if you've been banished to outer darkness) and I was able to go to class for an hour and fifteen minutes. Best hour and fifteen minutes of the day.

Lunch in the student union is always questionable. Today was no exception. I opted for a sandwich that I ended up throwing away because I couldn't choke it down and settled for a nice cold Diet Dr. Pepper. I have had a love/hate relationship with Diet Dr. Pepper this week. Let me explain... On Monday afternoon I was headed out of the library to the Liberal Arts building for a class and as I walked out the door of the library I opened a 20 oz. bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper that exploded are over me, my coat, my shirt, and my shoes. By some strange twist of fate it did not get on my pants. Luckily, I had a pair of shoes in my car and an extra sweatshirt. On the flip side, I was already going to be late and couldn't run back into change. So, there I stood in the parking lot, throwing on a sweatshirt and changing my shoes then sprinting from the library down to class. The only good thing I have to say about Monday is I ran into Marjanna Hulet in the parking lot of the Liberal Arts building and had a nice chat. Needless to say, I was a bit uneasy with the Diet Dr. Pepper I had purchased at lunch, but marched on back to exile.

After several hours of "sorting" casefiles in the Stallings Collection, I couldn't take another moment of silence (not the kind of silence when there is a lack of noise, but the kind of silence when there is a lack of people). If there were ever a day when I absolutely needed to be around people, today was it. I ventured back across campus to hang out in the History Department for awhile only to return to the archives to do some more work before my night class.

I was in no way, shape, or form looking forward to my night class only because I was anxiously looking forward to going to bed! Class was fine and I was glad to leave. Perhaps I was too anxious to leave--I drove three blocks before realizing I still had the emergency break on and the sound that I thought was me not being in the right gear was really just the car trying to tell me I'm an idiot and should have taken the break off.

By the time I made it to the corner of Jefferson and Oak I decided tonight called for a serious soda and what better place than Common Cents (makers of the best ice in town). Habitually, I filled a cup up with ice and grabbed a Diet Dr. Pepper from the cooler. Like always when I got to the car I dumped the soda in the cup of ice and was on my way. And I made it home with no other notable moments.

But of course when I got home I couldn't just walk in, have a relaxing hour or two, chat with a friend on the phone, and then crawl into bed for a good night's sleep. I walked in, sat my Diet Dr. Pepper on the table, and set up my laptop. As I was setting up my laptop, I reached over to pick up a paper on my table, knocking the Diet Dr. Pepper off the table. As it was spilling onto the floor, I was in need of that bar of soap I was offered this morning because once again every word I could think of (and some I plain made up) came out of my mouth. Luckily the friend on the phone found this funny and didn't offer another bar of soap. And I guess the plus here is that what mark the Diet Dr. Pepper may leave on the carpet will match the black spot remaining from an encounter with the shoe polish on Saturday.

You know what was awesome about today? It was way better than yesterday. At this rate I should be winning the lottery in 987 years.

No comments :