Saturday, February 17, 2007

What I've Learned This Week

As I think I mentioned before, I have been awfully sick which for me means at home in bed. If I remember right I have been at home in bed since last Thursday. It takes a whole lot to wipe me out and this week I've been past wiped out. Even had to have a minor surgical procedure this past week. But...I have learned all sorts of things this week.

Did you know that the reason bubble gum has been and is usually pink is because the inventor of bubble gum (can't think of his name at the moment, but he's associated with the Double Bubble brand) only had pink coloring on hand? I've also learned that dog and cat food is sized so that pets don't swallow it whole and don't feel they are doing an unnecessary amount of chewing. I wonder if there are focus groups for this sort of thing... And evidently cats are much more particular about the flavor of their food than dogs and they require a different fat content. All of this I learned from a brilliant show on the Discovery Channel called "How It's Made."

It really is brilliant--just like the factory trips on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood minus the make believe.

Yesterday, or at least I think it was yesterday, I learned that you really can crack an egg into your radiator to stop a leak. And believe it or not, dumping Drano into your gas tank won't cause your engine to blow up. Or at least that's what Adam and Jamie (aka the Mythbusters) tell me. I don't know how the bleach thing works out in the gas tank because I fell asleep at the best part.

I've learned that you should never watch any of the Law & Order shows in conjunction with medication that alters your thinking because you then dream about a cop shootout and are forced to run for an unusually long time while hoping someone has called 911. This dream of course was much better than the one in which I didn't have any legs and was floating about aimlessly. Or the time I woke up shouting "a bus, a bus!"

Come to find out, I don't like Martha Stewart. Not any more now than pre-prison. There is just something a bit distressing about the woman. Maybe she makes me feel inadequate. After all, I can't sew and I refuse to cook ten course meals.

And did you know that President Chester Arthur was called Chet by his close friends? Well I sure didn't.

Unrelated to the television, I learned that I love the play "Inherit the Wind" just as much now as I did when I first read it as a fourteen year old. In fact I think I love it more and appreciate it more than I did then. If you haven't read it, pick up a copy--I believe it is by Lawrence & Lee. And the Spencer Tracy movie based on the play is excellent as well. It's cheap on Amazon.

Last, but certainly not least, I learned just today while looking over the Oscar nominations that I am going to have a very hard time supporting the Best Actress category. How can a person choose between Judi Dench (in Notes on a Scandal) and Helen Mirren (in the Queen)? I have loved Judi Dench for some time now and just recently "discovered" who Helen Mirren really is (as opposed to the actress I believed she was) and that I like her. I watched a 60 Minutes piece with her recently and I must say this woman deserves an Oscar. Of course there is always that chance that the Academy will again award Meryl Streep though I just don't think the role she is nominated for is Oscar-worthy. And if she were to win it wouldn't be nearly as fun as her winning a Golden Globe because in that setting there is 99% chance that she's plastered...

No comments :