Saturday, March 3, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

It seems like it has been centuries since I've had a traditional Smorgasbord Saturday post. It seems like it has been quite some time since I've done anything that a regular schedule/routine warrants.

As I type this, the Idaho Democrats are meeting in Boise for the annual Frank Church Banquet. I'm very sad to be missing out on this event, but I'm still on the couch--doctor's orders.

In all my "resting" lately, I have had the time to catch up on a few of the movies that came out in the last year or so. Just today I watched Little Miss Sunshine and was pleasantly surprised by how much I actually loved the show. With a few fine moments of laughter and quirkiness, this is a must see drama. However, I am wondering how Alan Arkin won the Oscar. His role is so limited. But his presence is not. The writing is just brilliant--who knew a pudgy beauty queen wannabe, a dirty old heroin addict, a suicidal genius, a screwed up teenager, and two very angry parents could make for such a wonderfully real story.

Another film I watched this past week was The Departed. I was less than impressed. For a film set in Boston (one of my all-time favorite places) with a cast full of dynamic actors, it just didn't capture my interest. Martin Sheen's last scene in the film is when I finally gave up on the notion that I could even somewhat like the film. And if anyone deserved an Oscar nod for that film it was Leonardo DiCaprio, not Mark Wahlberg.

One of the last times I went to the theater to watch a movie, other than the numerous times I went to see Bobby, a preview for the Heath Ledger flick Casanova was playing. At first glance I thought it would be just another off-the-mark period piece with lighthearted humor, but I was surprised by my response to it. More than once I caught myself laughing out loud and more than half of those times it was me laughing at Oliver Platt. What a great performance! And for those of you who love Jeremy Irons, his role is superb as well.

My couch potato days have not been limited to movies alone. Thanks to very good friends, I have plenty of reading material. You'd think with my own personal library I'd have at least something worth reading, but none of my reading material is appealing to me at all. So, I have magazines, books, the American Historical Review, and tons of E.B. White on hand to keep me entertained.

Being sick has sure taken its toll on my brain power. It sure doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to watch television and nap all day. The greatest discovery of the week? Coloring books. Did you know that coloring requires little to no brain power? You just have to stay inside the lines and believe it or not coloring is quite stimulating.

Well, clearly nothing political going on here. More news from the couch coming soon.

No comments :