Saturday, March 10, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

Since I have had so much time on my hands lately, I have picked up a few books--a few very good books, some okay books, and some not so great books. Here's a list of what I've been reading in case you didn't catch them on the sidebar as I was reading them: Daisy Miller by Henry James, Lone Star: The Life of John Connally by James Reston, What Was She Thinking? [Notes on a Scandal] by Zoe Heller, The Rosewood Casket by Sharyn McCrumb, War and the American Presidency by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Lee, Henry Adams and Henry James by John Carlos Rowe, Argument Without End by Robert McNamara, The Points of My Compass by E.B. White, Revelations by Philip Booth, The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, Ashworth Hall by Anne Perry, a mere 285 pages of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, I am finally finishing up Cross by James Patterson, and today I'll begin something new.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed most of what I read, though I can't say Zoe Heller's book was anything like what I expected it to be and the only thing I liked about it was the last sentence. I did read it in less than a day, so I may not have taken the time to let it all sink in, but still, I went into with fairly high expectations and came out of it thoroughly disappointed.

I've also seen my fair share of television and movies lately. Last night I watched a very odd film called The Great New Wonderful. In the last month or so I've also watched The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, The Aviator, The Girl in the Cafe, Arsenic and Old Lace, Father Goose, North by Northwest, Little Black Book, It Happened One Night, The Producers, season two of Six Feet Under, all seven seasons of The West Wing, a great PBS special titled Backstairs at the White House, Lawrence of Arabia, reruns of Gilmore Girls, Casanova, and plenty more that I can't seem to think of at the moment.

Though all of this seems quite exciting, I'm sure, I look forward to getting back to some sort of schedule that includes leaving the house daily. Don't get me wrong, it has been nice to rest, relax, and read, but you can only be cooped up for so long before you seriously contemplate throwing the television out the window and running away to Botswana.

In terms of what I have been listening to, I haven't really been listening to much, but I did finally break down and purchase a CD off of iTunes since I haven't been out to any stores lately and I've had my eye on Two Lights by Five for Fighting for awhile now.

Here's my only political comment of the day--Did you know that Idaho was one of only four states who did not create a commission for Bicentennial of the United States Constitution? I was reading something about the Commission on the Bicentennial of the United States Constitution and it had a list of all the state commissions and Idaho wasn't on it. Neither were Texas, Colorado, and Massachusetts. Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia had commissions. Why not Idaho? It's a shame, really.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Six Feet Under is a wonderful show. You should watch Season 1 of Prison Break if you are confined to your place for a few more days.