Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Fallen Hero In My Hometown

Evidently, as apparent in this editorial, some in Burley and the Mini-Cassia area were irritated with the South Idaho Press editoral decision to hold a story about the death of a sailor last week in Iraq.

Chip Thompson, managing editor of the South Idaho Press, wrote on Tuesday that even though at times a story is already circulating in the community, it is necessary for the paper to wait. It is necessary to give the family of the fallen proper time to learn of their loss and appropriate time to grieve.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Curtis R. Hall was killed near Kirkuk. Hall was one of three members of a bomb-disposal convoy killed while conducting combat operations.

As an American every fallen soldier in Iraq bothers me immensely, but when the fallen are Idahoans, I tend to step back and really face the issue that I so often ignore with the evening news--our brave soldiers are dying in a war we should have never entered and should not allow our president to control.

I've spoken with Diana Rowe-Pauls of We Have Failed Our Duty As Citizens several times about the death of her brother and even though we are not related, I wish we were because not only is she a wonderful, bright, articulate person, she understands very intimately the cost of this war. And she has not been afraid to stand up and say we shouldn't be there, we need our men and women home now.

Today I could not agree with Diana more. Bring them home. Bring them home now.

Curtis Hall's parents built a home next to my best friend in Burley when I was a kid. Curtis Hall's mother worked at my elementary school. Curtis Hall was often enlisted in the horrible task of walking me into the school when his mother was on bus duty because as a five and six year old I struggled with the idea of being away from home for more than ten minutes at a time and was known to scream bloody murder once the school bus pulled in front of the school. He didn't ever mind when his mom made him walk this screaming girl, just three years younger than him into school. Curtis was so unbelievably mature and brave. He saved his father in a rafting accident, was his mother's pride and joy, and was looked up to by many.

The death of Curtis R. Hall has been a reminder to me and I hope through me a reminder to all those that read this that Iraq is costing far more than Congress, the President, and the Department of Defense are willing to admit. Iraq is costing us brave and admirable men like Curtis Hall in staggering numbers.

My prayers are with the Hall family, my thanks to Chip Thompson for holding the story despite angered readers, and my thoughts are with the leaders of this nation who owe it to the friends and family of Curtis Hall and thousands of other fallen heroes to get us out of Iraq now.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

This post is really beautiful and terribly heartbreaking. I've never witnessed you speak/write so passionately about ending the Iraq War.