Saturday, April 7, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

I've been watching very closely the Craig/Vandersloot ordeal go down over at 43rd State Blues for hours now...come to find out while I was gone, d2 made the decision to redact the original rumor written by Tom Paine. Very interesting, to say the least.

I ran across a great little blog--quite by accident--last night that I'd like to share with you all: Boston 1775 is an analysis based in the history of the American Revolution. If you have a minute, take a look. And hopefully you'll all appreciate it, as I did.

While I'm on the topic of great finds in the blogosphere--here's a great semi-blog (more than a blog, but I consider many, many blogs to fit this category) all about baseball. The ultimate blog if you ask me!

Schedule related--the Braves will play tomorrow, Easter Sunday, against the Mets. Sexy red uniforms even... So far it has been a very strange series between NY and Atlanta due to weather and screw ups. Will make for an interesting game. As a side note, TBS has picked up the playoffs this year which I am very excited about. Though they are cable, I enjoy their commentators much more than I do those over at Fox.

Last night I was able to finally watch The Good Shepard and I must admit I went into it with very low expectations. Perhaps it coming out at the same time as a similarly titled film--The Good German--or all the hype of other movies coming out this week had detracted from this particular film. Whatever the case may be, for someone like me, this story of the CIA in its early years (leading up to the Bay of Pigs fiasco) was very enlightening and I found it to be not only well written, but the script itself was well executed. I bet the copies flew off the shelves at your local video stores, in fact I snagged the last copy of my local, favorite Video Stop, but when they return to the shelves, pick up this great film.

As long as I'm on the topic of films I've watched recently, I must recommend a great Jacques Tati film titled Playtime. If you have never watched a Tati film, I highly recommend you do so. This past week the gentleman I work with on the Stallings Papers asked if I had seen the film and I hadn't, but once upon a time had seen Tati's film The Big Day (very loose translation). So, I was up for the viewing and was pleasantly surprised by this French film. Tati, for those of you unfamiliar with him, is very clever and his films for the most part play on this wit and are able to present comedy without over doing it. In a world of films with cheap comedic value (without meaning to take a stab at them, I would suggest the works of Jon Heder and Will Ferrell), it is a wonderful experience to sit down and watch comedy that isn't reaching for the laugh, but rather accomplishing it quite simply on its own merit.

I can't seem to think of anything else that qualifies for a Smorgasbord Saturday post, so in parting I will wish all a Happy Easter--however you choose to celebrate Easter. I don't necessarily celebrate Easter, but rather celebrate the changing of the seasons. So, however you choose to celebrate I wish you a happy day of good weather and good friends!

No comments :