Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Smoltz v. Maddux

Today the Braves and the San Diego Padres face off in Atlanta at Turner Field. This is game three of a four game series, so nothing newsworthy here except for a particular match up--yep, you guessed it Smoltz vs. Maddux. Two pitchers whose last matchup was in 1992.

Now, I'm a growing fan of the Padres and I don't need to elaborate on my feelings about the Braves, so as you can imagine I have quite enjoyed this particular series. Why today matters? Maddux. Greg Maddux is a former Brave and back in the good ole days he and Smoltz pitched together. He, Smoltz, and Tom Glavine. Can you believe it?

This match up has had me thinking about my all-time favorite Braves. Here they are, a fantasy roster of sorts, and some extras:

C: Javy Lopez
1B: Fred McGriff
2B: Marcus Giles
3B: Chipper Jones
SS: Rafael Furcal
OF: Andruw Jones
OF: J.D. Drew
OF: David Justice
P: Tom Glavine
P: John Smoltz
P: Greg Maddux

Other Favorites:
Ryan Klesko, Adam LaRoche, Brian McCann, Wilson Betemit, Jeff Franceour, Johnny Estrada, Vinny Castilla, Brian Jordan, Ryan Klesko, Julio Franco, Henry Blanco and Pete Orr.

Least Favorite: There's only one. With time I've forgiven David Justice for committing the ultimate sin (trading to the Yankees), but the one who I may never like again--Gary Sheffield. Yuck.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone that some of my added favorites are catchers and first basemen. I was a catcher. First base when my knees were on the fritz. And center field when the temper was on the edge and it was that or face ejection.

Speaking of ejections--Bobby Cox is rapidly approaching the milestone of becoming the MLB manager who has been ejected the most. I think he'll pass up John McGraw with a few more ejections. The thing about Cox lately that I've noticed is the times that he is ejected they are logical complaints he has. Granted, call an umpire a horse's ass doesn't help his cause, but the man fights the right fights.

Back to the point at hand--today's game is only being televised on MLB-TV and FSN-HD, but I look forward to some great clips on Sports Center tomorrow night. Thursday the Padres and Braves will face off again and this time it will be televised on TBS (I plan on recording it).

No comments :