Saturday, May 26, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

Saturday is here again and I've yet to live up to my promise that I would be posting on the Pocatello Community Charter School, Mr. Walter Cronkite, and hell, I can't even remember what my other promises were. I always have great plans for posts, I'm just not very good on the follow through. This very thing is the reason I was never a decent softball pitcher...

In music related news, I have discovered perhaps the greatest Eric Clapton album yet. Me and Mr. Johnson, released a couple of years ago, is the most amazing Clapton album I've listened to. How I missed it until now is anybodys guess. But now I have it and if you don't and you like blues and Clapton go out and buy it.

I'm out of town next weekend, or at least that's the plan as of now, but that means this weekend I'm at home resting, relaxing, and watching a whole lot of television. Have you seen Shut Up & Sing? If you haven't seen the documentary about the Dixie Chicks political ordeal, the one that started with the comment that they were ashamed George W. Bush is from Texas, go rent it, buy it, whatever it is you do to get your hands on really good films. I bought my own copy and watched this afternoon. Wow. Really wow. The whole time I was thinking I better get out and buy some of their earlier albums. And then I got thinking about the last Grammy awards and how well the Chicks did. Bravo. Their latest album is a steal as well. Buy that while you're out searching for my recommendations. Taking the Long Way is one of those albums you could listen to over and over again without getting sick of it. In fact I do listen to it all the time and I'm still just as hooked as I was after the first time I heard it.

In other television news, NBC has brought Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip back for a few weeks to finish airing the series. Yes, the series. It was cancelled. It is now running on Thursday nights (where it probably should have been in the first place, not Sundays) at 9pm (here anyway). Thursday night's episode featured a great role for Allison Janey. One that makes fun of her endlessly and brings back that old spark she and Danny had on The West Wing. I've heard a lot of people say their disappointment with Studio 60 stemmed from so many things coming straight out of The West Wing, too many recycled plots, quotes, etc. I, on the other hand, find that to be part of the brilliance of Studio 60. It is sort of like The West Wing never ended. And, if you've ever seen The American President, you know The West Wing took much from it. It's the way Sorkin writes, get over it.

In baseball news, Barry Bonds hasn't hit a home run since May 8th. Can't say I'm all that disappointed with that, gives me more time to prepare myself for Bonds passing up by baseball hero. It does disappoint me that Bonds isn't hitting at all since he's on my Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball team, but hey, you can't have a whole roster of studs. Hell, I can't have a handful. Chipper Jones is hurt, Brian Giles isn't in good shape, three of my pitchers are on and off the DL, and I'm down to 7th place (in a league of 12). My own damn fault for picking up Barry, I guess.

My favorite historian has a new book out. Just released is Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power by Robert Dallek. I'm only on page 200, but so far I have been impressed. The thing I love about Dallek is his honesty. I was able to read several of his books on Johnson without much pain--Johnson is my least favorite U.S. President. The power struggle and intense personalities of Nixon and Kissinger is certainly not lost on Dallek.

Yesterday I read the latest installment in the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. The 6th Target is another superb thriller by Patterson with all the great little pieces I love so much about Patterson's writing. I wish I could remember the quote I laughed about for a good hour...it'll come back to me. And when it does, I'll share. Speaking of Patterson, I can't remember if I ever posted the piece I was working on about Patterson. I better double check.

That's it. For a Saturday, not too bad, though not so political. And geez, I'm slow getting the blog template back to normal. I'll get on that tonight.

No comments :