Monday, June 25, 2007

Kennedy: Magazine & Miniseries

The upcoming edition of TIME will feature the 35th President of the United States in an issue titled "What We Can Learn From JFK." The entire issue is wonderful, I've read each of the articles numerous times over the weekend, but two superb articles by David Talbot appear in the issue, "Warrior for Peace" and "The Assassination: Was It a Conspiracy? stand out." With the second piece by Talbot comes an opposing view by Vincent Bugliosi author of Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

This past week I got an email from Nick who asked for my opinion on Bugliosi's book. I have not read the book (surely because it is 1612 pages long) and I don't subscribe to Bugliosi's thesis, but I plan on asking an assassination insider this week on his feelings about the work.

Something else interesting about Bugliosi's book that I failed to mention to Nick in my response to him--JFK Lancer, an organization that prides itself on continued research and speculation surrounding Kennedy's death, sent out an action alert with attached petition to numerous historians as well its length mailing list asking everyone to sign a petition stating opposition to an HBO series in the works with Playtone that would turn Bugliosi's enormous book into a ten-part miniseries debunking the biggest, most famous Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories.

As far as I know HBO is still working out the details with Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, and Bill Paxton as executive producers. Check out Bugliosi's website for more information. Still no word on when it will air. Still no decision on my part whether I will be watching. I suspect I will, but I tend to side more with Oliver Stone on this one. Scary isn't it?

I just checked back on an eBay link sent to me by Serephin of 43rd State Blues at it appears bidding remains open on the shirt worn by Kennedy to his inaugural. The opening minimum bid is just over $2 million which excludes most of us from participating in the auction, but it is a rare piece of history and with its listing is an accessible video of Kennedy's inaugural as well as information on the seller's voluntary contribution of 10% of the proceeds to Special Olympics (an organization the Eunice Kennedy Shriver founded). Check it out!

The other Kennedy, no not Teddy, Bobby, is also in the news with a Discovery Channel clip circulating on YouTube. This recording is of his death has been hidden for thirty-nine years.

No comments :