Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Big Day In Baseball

Today is one of my favorite days of the entire year. Why? Because it is the Major League trade deadline. I don't have much news to report other than what I already did. Do watch for something to happen in Houston with Morgan Ensberg (somebody who started out on my fantasy team this spring, but I cut quickly because I simply was not patient enough). Looks like the Braves are getting Texas Ranger Mark Teixeiria after all.

Other than it being the trade deadline, history could be in the making today. New York Met (and former Atlanta Brave) Tom Glavine could very well pitch his 300th career win in Milwaukee tonight. He would be joining San Diego Padre (and also former Atlanta Brave) Greg Maddux in the 300 career win club. There are, I believe, 23 members of the 300 win club. I would love to see Glavine get his win tonight so he can get back to having fun--seems to me he's thinking too hard about winning and not focusing on the game or the pitching nearly enough. Good luck, Glavine!

In the West, Barry Bonds could easily hit #755--the home run that will tie him with Hank Aaron. Like I've said a million times before, I'm not happy about this. I liked Barry in the beginning of his career with the Giants, but I'm one of those who thinks he could have been a better player, made it to the record, and all that jazz without the steroids. And like I've said before, too, is there any doubt he used steroids? Part of me wants to see the fans at Dodger stadium throw the ball back on the field after he hits it. But then there is the other part of me that realizes the magnitude of watching history in the making.

Like it or not, Alex Rodriguez could also make history as the youngest player to hit 500 career homeruns. Despite how you might feel about A-Rod, you can't deny his talent.

Enjoy this very big day in baseball!

No comments :