Saturday, July 28, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

Saturday has rolled around yet again. I don't know what happened to the week--Thursday it seemed like the longest week ever and now it feels like the week flew by. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the list of tasks I must accomplish before I leave town Wednesday morning...

I was going through my email this morning, trying to weed out some stuff, and ran across a link to an article in the New York Times that was sent to me in May by my friend Jared. The article, read it and you'll learn a small amount about Down syndrome or visit this link for more information, really made me take a long hard look at my views on abortion. A dear friend of mine, a roommate of my older brothers', and the gentleman who took me on my first date had Down syndrome. He was (he passed a few Decembers ago) one of the sweetest, most gentle, funny guys I've ever met and I can't imagine what my life or my view of the world would have been without his presence in my life. Additionally, I can an uncle who has Downs. When he was born they told my great-grandparents to lock him up (as they did with many parents of Downs children back before they understood the syndrome) and instead they raised him until he was nine, sent him away to the State School & Hospital in Nampa, and then allowed my grandmother to care for him until his age (he is now 50+ years old) required him to be placed in a home. I have a very soft spot in my heart for Downs kids and like I said, this article really made me think. Check it out.

I stumbled across a great blog last week as I was doing a little research on my all-time favorite player, Hank Aaron. Best by the Numbers is a great blog that picks one player for each uniform number (yes, Hank is the best #44 and Jackie remains the best #42).

Finally, I have made my first purchase from the Hesperus Press! Perhaps what I loved most about my purchase (other than the book itself) is how pleasant the entire experience was. Because I'm a registered user all I had to do was add my purchase to the trolley (cart for the Yanks who don't understand), enter my credit card information, and that was it. Not surprisingly, my single, first purchase from the wonderful press is Percy Shelley's novel--yes the poet wrote a few novels--titled Zastrozzi. As usual with books from his press, the cover is very intriguing. It will be a pleasant surprise when I return from vacation and a wonderful read in my last days of summer freedom before fall semester begins on the 27th.

As I mentioned, I am going out of town on Wednesday. My younger brother and I (who turns fifteen in August) are taking a road trip to Moscow, Idaho to attend the wedding of my best friend from high school. It should be a fun and interesting trip--given my knack for getting lost--and I'm hoping the new spectacles I ordered this past week arrive before we leave! Adam, my younger brother, and I have never been alone in a car together for that long of a time so it could be a very interesting ordeal. On the way home we will be stopping in Boise to catch a Boise Hawks game which I think Adam is more excited about than the wedding. Go figure.

Because I will be out of town for a week and am not sure how often I will have internet access or how much energy (or interest) I will have for posting, before I leave I am hoping to post several pieces for your reading while I am away. I want to mention a great article in The New Republic as well as spend a little time discussing some interesting things I've learned from the Stallings Collection lately. Keep an eye out for that.

No comments :