Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Home At Last

I'm not good at vacationing. I've never been good at it. I've never been good at breaks from school, long holidays, or long stints away from home. That's just how I am and have always been.

I left a week ago for what I was hoping would be a time to clear my head, refocus, and relax. None of the those things occurred. I was able to relax a bit on the home stretch of my trip, in Boise, but the beginning days of the trip were more stressful than anything else.

We left Wednesday morning, drove through Boise, McCall, Grangeville, Lewiston, and finally arrived in Moscow. The drive was longer than I expected it to be. Having never driven that long stretch to northern Idaho, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Once there we got semi-settled in, as settled in as you can get when you're in town for a wedding, and saw what was there to see.

I visited the University of Idaho campus in Moscow as well as the Washington State University campus in Pullman. Neither of which I felt compelled to attend. I had always thought I wouldn't mind attending WSU after my time at ISU, but all in all I didn't feel like it was right for me. I certainly wouldn't be interested in attending U of I after my time at ISU given that they don't have a program for me. I've always thought my friend (the one who got married this past weekend) and I have been experiencing college in very different ways--my trip to Moscow only reaffirmed that belief.

We visited Spokane one day, got horribly lost trying to get back on the road to Pullman, but all in all enjoyed the day trip. Fortunately, the trip to Spokane was the only time we got really lost. Pretty impressive for me given my inability to understand directions or find my way around any new place.

The wedding was beautiful. My bridesmaid duties were attended to. Hopefully I won't be asked to be a bridesmaid again! For those of you that have done this bridesmaid thing, I'm sure you understand what I mean. And I got a bit of a sunburn...

Driving through Riggins turned out to be the most exciting, or I should say eventful, part of our entire trip due to deer along the road. I can't tell you the entire story without giving some embarrassing details, but I can tell you that I now know I am capable of screaming like a little girl.

Once we got to Boise we took a day just to chill. We went and saw I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, my brother is a huge Adam Sandler fan, visited the Boise Mall, and spent a lot of time at the hotel resting up from the very long drive.

Yesterday I was able to meet up with some of my fellow Idaho bloggers, always a wonderful time, and stuck around for a portion of the Obama meeting at Pengilly's. The Obama meeting got me thinking about throwing my support toward a candidate and I just can't do it. I'm still on the fence. The Obama meeting made me wonder what would have happened if we all would have written checks to the Vilsack camp when he was running. He was the only candidate I could really get behind.

We caught a Boise Hawk's game last night--a nice break from the Bonds watch commentary in the MLB right now. Yes, Bonds has tied Hank Aaron, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

I'm sure I'll have more to say about the trip once I've had some sleep.

Don't forget Howard Dean in Pocatello tomorrow!!

No comments :