Saturday, August 18, 2007

Much Needed Hiatus

This past week has been a particularly rough one for me.

A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer, the third incredibly close friend of mine to be diagnosed with some form of cancer in the last four years, which has really made me appreciate my health and has made me realize that there are so many out there dealing with enormous obstacles in their lives (doing so quite courageously, I might add).

I hit a speed bump this week in my academic career at ISU--my overreaction to which caused me to really examine my academic plans. It truly is a wonder I am actually still enrolled. Unlike so many political issues on campus that I find myself wrapped up in, this problem arose from a choice I made. Unlike the betrayal of the student government constitution issue or the spring officer elections, this problem resulted from one choice on my part. A choice I didn't realize bothered others so much. I feel as if I really screwed up and can only move on from here, though I can't help but wonder what my reputation is with certain members of the ISU faculty, certain members that have had my complete respect up until this week. Where my academic career is concerned I don't often think of how my decisions will impact others. It is my education after all, isn't it? Equally tormenting this past week was the way in which the ISU situation effected a friendship I have built over the last year or so.

I haven't had more than three hours of sleep a night since I returned home from my trip to Moscow.

Additionally, I've lost motivation or whatever it is I had when I started the processing of the Stallings Collection. Hopefully this returns. And soon.

Until then, I wanted to let you all know that I am taking a break from blogging for a week. Trip to Declo tomorrow, trip to Idaho Falls Tuesday, and a trip to Boise on Thursday. I need a week to get my life in order, do some writing, and get some rest before the fall semester begins on the 27th. I shall return to the game on the 25th or 26th.

3 comments:

Julie in Boise said...

Tara,

Savor your blogging break, and please know that your friend is in all our thoughts and prayers!

Julie

Kent said...

Tara-
Keep your chin up, kid. Think of Faulkner: "Man performs and engenders so much more than he can or should have to bear. That's how he finds that he can bear anything." Tell your friend that, too. As for school--ISU is lucky to have you, don't let the system get you down. Get some sleep and for God's sake, slow down!

Tara A. Rowe said...

Thanks, Kent & Julie.