Friday, September 28, 2007

New Books from Uptown


Tonight on way home I stopped at Uptown Books and experienced for myself the joy of this fine bookstore. Had there not been a Brewers/Padres game beginning at 6, I could have stayed and perused the extensive selection of books for hours.


However, in the time I was there, I was able to spot and purchase the above pictured books. Pretty typical books for me...a little baseball (Hank Aaron and the Home Run That Changed America), a little Kennedy (A Woman Named Jackie, Oswald and the CIA, and Fatal Hour), McNamara's The Essence of Security (to add to the growing collection of books I have by or about McNamara), a little Idaho politics (George Hansen's epic piece), something on Johnson (more for the benefit of the author than the man), Stevenson because I love him, and a book of short stories purchased for the purpose of fueling my ongoing short story project that may never end.

The Jackie Kennedy book was my freebie for purchasing a book.


Being in a bookstore is pure heaven to me. In fact the pearly gates will surely be followed by ornate bookshelves. I enjoy the search as much as I enjoy the pleasure of finding a book that I can't live without. For any one who has spent a great deal of time around books, you know as well as I do that there is a distinct odor. Musty. I love old books, but man oh man can they smell. Uptown Books doesn't smell, unless you count the aromatic coffee pot quietly brewing near the cash register. And yes, the coffee really is free!


Clean smelling books, clean looking covers, and a selection that will knock your socks off.


Only downside? I had to come home and find homes for my new books. They are sadly sitting right where I took their picture. I have since I got home looked over my books and have compiled a stack of books that I've been meaning to find another home for (i.e. I can't continue to hoard duplicates of books).


What can I do with these books? Well, I will do what any self-respecting book lover would do--I'll take them to a beautiful little bookstore where I know they'll be given to a great and loving home.

No comments :