Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I don't really get to vote...

As I watch Game 1 of the 2007 World Series, I would like to throw my votes out for a few of the top baseball awards. Trying to keep my obvious biases from surfacing, here's what I've got:

Manager of the Year
American League Manager of the Year: Eric Wedge (Cleveland Indians)
National League Manager of the Year: Clint Hurdle (Colorado Rockies)

Cy Young
AL: Josh Beckett (Boston Red Sox)
NL: Jake Peavy (San Diego Padres)

MVP
AL: Alex Rodriguez (New York Yankees)
NL: Jimmy Rollins (Philadephia Phillies)

Rookie of the Year
AL: Dustin Pedroia (Boston Red Sox)
NL: Troy Tulowitzki (Colorado Rockies)

Gold Gloves
American League:
1st: Kevin Millar (Baltimore Orioles)
2nd: Dustin Pedroia (Boston Red Sox)
3rd: Eric Chavez (Oakland A's)
SS: Jhonny Peralta (Cleveland Indians)
LF: Carl Crawford (Tampa Bay Devil Rays)
CF: Torii Hunter (Minnesota Twins)
RF: Ichiro Suzuki (Seattle Mariners)
C: Ivan Rodriguez (Detroit Tigers)
P: Johan Santana (Minnesota Twins)
National League
1st: Mark Teixeira (Texas Rangers/Atlanta Braves)
2nd: Chase Utley (Philadelphia Phillies)
3rd: David Wright (New York Mets)
SS: TIE Edgar Renteria/Jose Reyes (Braves/Mets)
LF: Mike Cameron (San Diego Padres)
CF: Andruw Jones (Atlanta Braves)
RF: Jeff Franceour (Atlanta Braves)
C: Johnny Estrada (Milwaukee Brewers)
P: Greg Maddux (San Diego Padres)

There are definitely arguments to be made against A-Rod getting the MVP and why Jeter should get a Gold Glove. Other arguments I thought up surrounded the NL MVP--the names Holliday, Utley, and Fielder figure into that equation. And, yes, I'm a little heavy on Braves. Can't help that much...I tried!

2 comments:

Adam Graham said...

One little quibble. The Rockies lead the NL in defense and not one of them makes a Gold Glove? Tulowitzki's a wizard and I think you can make a case for Helton too.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I thought about Helton when I couldn't decide if Teixiera qualified for the NL with his middle of the year trade. I also thought about Tulowitzki (yes, he's a wizard), but last night while watched the Series it was revealed that his hero is Derek Jeter and I just couldn't bring myself to over-award Troy! ;)