Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yusuf, Dictabelts, and the ERA

A few nights ago I was browsing through a CD catalog and noticed something rather interesting, an artist named Yusuf. Now, I automatically recognized the artist because I am more than familiar with the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens, however, what caught my eye is that the artist is not Yusuf Islam (the name Stevens chose some time ago), it is merely Yusuf. Yeah, yeah, what's the point? Well my point is, when I purchased this wonderful CD by Cat Stevens his full name appeared on the cover--Yusuf Islam: An Other Cup. Not simply Yusuf. A few days have passed and I've given this a great deal of thought. I believe he dropped his last name due to the associations Americans (and even those across the pond) have with Islam, however it seems incredibly strange to me that a man who would compromise his status in the United States (or any hope of returning to the States) by his refusal to denounce Islam would drop a name strictly for the benefit of CD sales. There has got to be more to this story than I see at the surface. Very interesting...

We receive National Geographic in the mail every month at my house. I don't usually get to see the magazines we receive before they disappear, but this month I snagged the National Geographic for some extra night time reading material and was pleasantly surprised by a small blurb about dictabelts. Dictabelts? Yes, dictabelts. For those of you not as familiar with the Kennedy Assassination, some time after the assassination in Dallas it was discovered that a microphone on a police motorcycle had been flipped on and the transmission was recorded on a dictabelt at the Dallas Police Headquarters. This particular dictabelt has received a great deal of attention (and a few too many listens) over the years because it is said to contain evidence of how many shots were fired at Kennedy's motorcade. Long story short, the dictabelt is no longer playable by most technicians and if not preserved it will go away, the history contained therein also. The short article in National Geographic says that scientists at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory are attempting to optically scan the analog grooves on dictabelts, restoring the information and preserving it for generations of historians. The article points out that there are numerous dictabelt recordings of interrogations of war criminals following WWII. Interesting stuff.

Another article that caught my eye is a piece in the 10/22 issue of Newsweek. The article, "From Barricades to Blogs," caught my eye because of the 'blog' related title, however after reading the article, I was more interested in the history the article reveals--the history of the Equal Rights Amendment. Regardless of how you or I feel about the ERA, it really made me think. If I were to take a sample of women in my age group (let's say 18-25 years old), I honestly don't think more than a handful could explain what the ERA was, when it was an issue, or what happened to it. The legislation has been reintroduced in Congress every year since 1982, but those of us born from 1982 on have very little knowledge of it. Go find the article. It is worth a moment of your time.

1 comment:

droberdeau said...

Dealey Plaza Professionally Surveyed Map Detailing 11-22-63 Precise victims locations, Witnesses & Photographers, Suspected bullet trajectories, Evidence, and Vital Information Collected in One Location for Your Considerations.....

http://members.aol.com/droberdeau/JFK/DP.jpg


Discovery: The Rosemary Willis Zapruder filmed 2nd Headsnap: West, Ultrafast, & Directly Towards the Grassy Knoll .....

http://members.aol.com/droberdeau/JFK/ROSEwillisANNOUNCEMENT.html


President Kennedy "4 Principles" speech, others JFK assassination research links, and my discoveries and contributions for your considerations.....

http://hometown.aol.com/droberdeau/