Saturday, December 1, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

More often than not, I find myself irritated with Orson Scott Card these days. I should say my appreciation of his site Uncle Orson Reviews Everything has been on a downhill slide since he criticized one of my favorite authors, James Patterson, and his recent statement about being the exact audience to buy Clarence Thomas' memoir didn't help his cause. However, in this recent posting of his he comments on something that I have found myself wondering about more and more lately--copyright infringement on the internet and in email. A couple of days ago I received an email from a friend who does not generally send forwards which was followed my another email apologizing for the hoax. Hmm. Seems there is an entire site devoted to this sort of thing.

Somewhat overlooked this past week was Senator Leahy's rejection of President Bush's claim to executive privilege on the U.S. attorney firings. Bush, apparently trying to protect Josh Bolton and Karl Rove, has claimed executive privilege when subpoenas for information related to the firings were handed down to the White House. Surprisingly, Specter sided with Leahy on this matter. So far I haven't seen that this particular position on the part of Leahy and Specter is going anywhere, but it will be interesting to see what may come of it.

A few days ago at Left Side of the Moon, I noticed a post on the Special Olympics funding that fell through with no attempt to salvage it on the part of Congressman Bill Sali. Within that post is a lengthy quote from our other congressman, Mike Simpson, discussing why he voted to override President Bush's veto of the legislation that contained the necessary funding for the World Winter Games to be held in Idaho. What struck me was the other Idaho funding that was lost--Simpson points out a community detox center for Boise, NNU's nursing facility equipment, and a program to provide dental care for low-income, uninsured children in Idaho. Well, well. Mike Simpson, D.D.S. voted against his president and his party on a bill that would have brought funding to a program supported by his family's business and his former occupation. Interesting. And yet again I find myself in a position to point out that Idaho's congressional delegation hasn't spent a whole lot of time worrying about the financial status of Special Olympics of Idaho until recently when the possibility of bringing the world games to Idaho lit up dollar signs in their dreams. So, I wasn't too surprised to find out that Simpson voted to override the veto on a piece of legislation far more important to his business interests than to his sense of compassion and support for one of Idaho's greatest organizations. Frankly, I'm tired of not being surprised.

In baseball news, Torii Hunter, the phenom from the Twins who plays outfield almost as well as Willie Mays did, is headed to the City of Angels to wear red. No news on the fate of Andruw Jones yet.

This past week I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Tom McDevitt. Bonus points to you Idaho history nerds who might know why I was pleased to meet Tom. He just happened to find his way into ISU's Special Collections and there I was working away on the Stallings Collection. Fate, I tell you. Alright, so not everyone could be so pleased to have this chance encounter, but boy oh boy I was happy!

Other news on the home front--I will be traveling the week between Christmas and New Years and am quite happy about that. Arkansas and Texas. Sweet! I figure at the rate the Stallings Collection is progressing right now I am going to need a serious vacation. I need one now, I just can't swing it. And there's this voice over my shoulder that keeps saying I need to pass my classes this semester. Oh, wait, that's no voice over my shoulder that's my academic advisor and my boss speaking. I suppose I ought to listen.

1 comment:

Bo Vandy said...

Uncle Orson should possibly leave his opinions of copyright law to those more educated. The minute you write something, it isn't copyrighted.

Copyrighting something actually requires a process