Saturday, December 8, 2007

Smorgasbord Saturday

Interesting piece by Tom Paine caught my eye--probably since Jayson Ronk's sister is a good friend of mine and his parents live here in town and are, dare I say, not so conservative.

Went to the Big & Rich concert tonight (last night) at the Holt Arena. I still call it the Minidome like most people that knew it before the naming rights happened. Bad place for a concert, but if there is any performer that truly is better live it has to be Big & Rich. Amazing energy. As I sat there I couldn't help but notice those around me. Let's just say that I am not the target audience/demographic for Big & Rich. First of all, I have a college education. Second, I don't have a conservative bone in my body. Third, I hate horses and am not too fond of cowboys. Fourth, well, you see where I am going with this. However, I started liking Big & Rich when I realized they are all about breaking down walls in musical genres. They're out-of-control country artists who dance around on stage with glitter and top hats. I love top hats. And, something I knew from early on about them is that they have a real appreciation for those who have sacrificed for our country. Their "8th of November" was a highlight of the concert. It was followed by an impromptu singing of "God Bless America" both in honor of the veterans in the audience and Pearl Harbor Day. I'm not on the same page with them politically, but we're all Americans. My two favorite songs of theirs ("Holy Water" and "Faster Than Angels Fly") were not part of the concert, but all in all I have no complaints. I wish ISU could attract concerts, but given the poor musical environment Holt Arena provides and the lack of real interest, we don't get very many. In the last four years I have seen Blessid Union of Souls, Blues Traveler, Switchfoot, Better Than Ezra, Lovedrug, Ryanhood, The Format, Quietdrive, Royal Bliss, and a few others. Again, can't really complain.

This post probably seems light on politics given the highly charged political atmosphere both here and nationwide. The Idaho State Board of Education met at ISU this week to discuss the possibility of a medical school, among other things. Former Arkansas Governor Huckabee has picked up steam in the Iowa polls. Mitt Romney gave one of the worst speeches I have heard in my life this week in a failed attempt to explain his religion to a curious nation. Obviously, we are living in very political times. I'm just not feeling particularly political today.

Two and a half hours of sleep in the past seventy-two isn't doing much for my mental power. It has been a rough week on campus as I've come face to face with the realization of my inadequacies and the simple fact that there simply are not enough hours in the day to accomplish all that must be accomplished. I might say more about this later on, once the whole situation sets in, but I may not. It's not every day I find myself completely lacking words, but right now I just am with this. Give it time. I keep telling myself that. Maybe a few more times and I'll believe it.

For those of you interested, there is a History Channel special airing this weekend with Tom Brokaw.

Interesting bits of news out of Major League Baseball. I mentioned earlier in the week the fantastic trade the Tigers made. Bonds plead not guilty to perjury. Andruw Jones looks to be on his way to the Dodgers. I can handle this only if Kent is staying put and Furcal is in the lineup and at least it is still the National League. Kaz Matsui is headed to Houston. The Florida Marlins may be falling apart at the seams. Lo Duca might be headed to the Blue Jays (aka the final resting place of some of the games greatest athletes). Jason Kendall, one of the games best active catchers, is headed to the Brew Crew. Still the question of whether Cameron, Piazza, Bonds, or Sandy Alomar, Jr., will be in any lineup. Aaron Boone has continued his long fall from the spotlight as he signed with the Nationals this week. Since Andruw has to leave Atlanta, I can't request he stay, but my one request for the upcoming season is this: Let Julio Franco play! If the man wants to play until he is fifty, put him in a lineup until August 23rd. That's all I ask. Let the man play. And, don't forget he is still a better pinch runner than most guys half his age!

1 comment:

slfisher said...

I found that piece interesting, too; I've taken a couple of classes with Jayson and while we had different political views and enjoyed butting heads on them, he was an honorable guy and I liked him a lot. He suggested to me that I should apply for the Democratic executive director position because he thought it would be interesting for us to be professional opponents. I've been meaning to contact him anyway so I'll look him up and wish him well.