Tuesday, December 25, 2007

This Christmas

This Christmas I am traveling. First to Little Rock then to Dallas. In both places to see friends I rarely see. This Christmas I am thankful for amazing friends who have seen me through one of the tougher years of my life and have stood by me despite the best and worst of myself.

There's nothing we can do about
The things we have to do without
There's nothing we can do about
The things we have to live without
The only way to feel again
Is let love in

This Christmas I am thankful that I finally understand (and am trying to live by) these lyrics. I'm letting friends in that I was holding at a distance. I'm flying to see friends I've loved from a distance. I'm growing closer to life-long friends and learning that it is okay for them to see me in the darkest days as well as those of mehr licht.

"When we ignore the body, we are more easily victimized by it."

This Christmas I am thankful for the realization, a year in making, that yes, we can be victimized by our bodies, but we are also able to win that battle by taking care of ourselves. Health-wise, this year has been a long, tough battle that I can say with certainty I am finally winning. This Christmas I am thankful for good health and even more thankful for the understanding of what that means in the bigger picture.

"Children are apt to live up to what you believe of them."
"Become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid."

This Christmas I am thankful for finally gaining an appreciation of the wisdom of the late Lady Bird Johnson. Children are indeed going to live up to what you believe of them--I pray to God I am living up to what some of those I admire believe I am capable of. I also know that in times of trial and tribulation, finding something you can immerse yourself in will be your safety and saving grace. I have become so wrapped up in the processing of the Stallings Collection over the past year that on days when nothing else is going right, there is that one thing I can dive into and shed away all my fears in the process. This Christmas I am thankful for the Stallings Collection, but even more thankful for the man who gave me this opportunity and the man who has served this state nobly.

Heap on more wood!--the wind is chill;
But let it whistle as it will,
We'll keep our Christmas merry still.

This Christmas I wish you all well.

(Quotes: Excerpt from "Let Love In" by the Goo Goo Dolls, quote from The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera, quote of Lady Bird Johnson, quote from Marmion by Sir Walter Scott)

2 comments:

Julie Fanselow said...

Tara, I so hope you got to see the Clinton Library in Little Rock, as well as Central High there! I'm also glad that you got a break from blogging. Merry Christmas, and all the best for 2008.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Thanks, Julie! I was able to see the Clinton Library (took somewhere around 100 pics), but didn't see Central High. In fact it didn't even occur to me that I should while I was in Little Rock...what was I thinking? I'll have a full report on my travels (I'm in Dallas now) when I return to Idaho. God bless and happy new year!