Friday, January 25, 2008

In a Maze of Farm Debt

Amendments to the Agriculture and Food Act of 1981 (coming in 1986); amendments to the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act of 1982 and subsequent amendments; the 1985 Farm Bill of the 99th Congress; the 1990 Farm Bill and its many technical revisions; Rural Electrification; amendments to the Farm Credit Act in 1985, 1986, and 1987; the Farm Credit System, not to be confused with or used interchangeably with the Farm Credit Administration or the Farm Service Agency; the Farm Credit Banks and Associations Safety and Soundness Act of 1991; the Farm Credit Relief Acts beginning in 1985 and by no means ending with the Farm Emergency Credit Act of 1985; and many, many other farm debt related agencies and legislation.

None of these items I can adequately explain on any given day nor can I comprehend how Idaho and other agrarian states made it out of the 1980s farm debt crisis. However, this is where I am spending my time as the opening of the Richard H. Stallings Congressional Collection rapidly approaches. And this is where I will continue to spend my time until the opening on February 8th. 

Therefore, (I feel I should say "let it be resolved" here) I will posting my usual Smorgasbord Saturday article tomorrow and a public endorsement of a Democratic presidential candidate (the one I will be caucusing for on Super Tuesday) on Sunday and will then disappear from the blogosphere until Saturday, February 9th, 2008.

1 comment:

Julie Fanselow said...

Tara, I look forward to your endorsement, since you are the only person I know who heard all three major Dems live and in person a week ago!