Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Night in New Hampshire

I can't help but have a smile on my face this evening with Clinton's surprising win in New Hampshire. As I have said time and time again, I am not a supporter of Clinton due to some of her policies and votes, but after yesterday I feel a whole lot better about her personally.

It is such a beautiful thing to see the major media wipe egg off their face. It is such a beautiful thing to see the Obama camp a little less confident.

As Bill Richardson said earlier this evening, this race is nowhere near over!

I also can't help but smile at the fact that Giuliani is competing with Ron Paul for the scraps. Giuliani really missed his time, didn't he? Is Fred Thompson out tomorrow? I sure hope so. Both are worthy of a smile on my face.

However happy I am with the results of New Hampshire on the Democratic side this evening, I am not particularly pleased with McCain's win. How do you vote for that man? I couldn't do it. Maybe in 2000 had I been eligible to vote I could have (considering the kind of politician he was then). Not now. Not now that he has been on the campaign trail with Joe Leiberman. Not now that he has become the panderer that he is. Not now that he has tried to narrow the gap between his politics and those of the evangelicals and the hard right. I still don't understand how people in New Hampshire that voted for him in 2000 could vote for him now and I may never understand how independents are still drawn to him.

What an interesting night it has been in New Hampshire. What an interesting night it has been for America. History books will be reserving a special space for the primary season that saw the wins of a former Vietnam POW, a strong woman, an African American, and a southern Baptist. To quote Obama, "there is something happening in America."

And how about the turn out? Unreal!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Nah, Fred is still in it, at least until the SC primary. He is campaigning in SC today (Wednesday) and onwards. If he doesn't do super well in SC, he might drop out, or hold on until Florida. There has been some speculation about him being a VP choice...ugh.

I was at several polling locations that had traffic backed up 1/4-3/4 of a mile away from the location! It was so AWESOME! I am glad my polling location was pretty empty, so I could register, vote, and try to catch Hillary at a polling location in Concord (I barely missed her). But then I drove down to Manchester to catch Edwards at his rally at his Manch HQ. Which then allowed me to go to the Radisson and meet James Denton, Tim Russert, and Frank Luntz.

As far as McCain, I went to almost 30 of his townhalls in the last 2 months, so I know his stump speech inside and out, I know what he'll say to any given question. He's just really good at taking questions and reframing the issue into something that is a strength. Questions about the economy generate answers about pork barrel projects and earmarks. Questions about his controversial immigration stances generate a response all about securing the border. Oh I could go on and on, but I'm not sure my knowledge in this area is of any interest to anyone.

I'll be going to Michigan tomorrow for a week, so it will be interesting to see how they change their stump speech.

Julie Fanselow said...

Good write-up, Tara. I agree with you about Clinton, and especially about the media's shameful excess both in its play of the Iowa results and the senator's "emotional" moment. I think she gave a teriffic victory speech, too. And it is truly hilarious to see Ron Paul and Rudy G neck and neck.

I am a longtime Obama supporter, but with a few days' hindsight, I am no longer disappointed he won. He was rising too far, too fast. New Hampshire helped re-level the playing field and pull the plug on any irrational exuberance in our camp. Obama is well poised to win the nomination, but he needs to face some tests now since he'll sure as hell face plenty from the GOP attack machine in the fall.

Julie Fanselow said...

Ooops, sorry I meant to say above that I am no longer disappointed that Obama LOST in NH.