Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Fluffy Music Post

A few days before the Blogmother and I spontaneously took off for Elko to see four presidential candidates, my biggest purchase of the year arrived in the mail: a MacBook. Somehow I let d2 talk me into this purchase and I have been very pleased with the machine itself.

However, just before my old Compaq died a sad death due to a power supply issue, I attempted to back up my iTunes files. All 5,000 songs worth. iTunes worked fairly well on a PC, I had no complaints, but when I attempted to load my backup discs (burned from a PC) on my new Mac, I had seriously problems. My television shows were still there, but in terms of music I lost all artists falling after 'H' in the alphabet. No idea why. On other computer those files are there. On my Mac, no.

So, for the last month, I have been without 4,000 songs. Not a big deal, I still had 1,000, but I didn't know what songs I was missing and it was going to take time (that I didn't have) to load CDs. There were songs I lost that I didn't have on a disc--CDs and singles I'd purchased on the iTunes store.

Who needs that much music? Well, I have somewhere around 500 CDs, I really lost count. And I have quite a few tv shows on DVD. Mostly because the work I have done on the Stallings Collection was tedious, but allowed my mind to wander if I wasn't listening to music or watching something. It is how I have survived thus far. And, I am one of those people who can't sit down to write or do homework without a soundtrack.

Long story short, thanks to my friend Teresa who was here over the weekend and the time I've suddenly found to mess around with this, I now have about 2,700 songs and I have fallen in love all over again with songs that I didn't even know were gone.

Fallen in love? Yes, I tend to fall in love with songs. They are on repeat for days, I take a long break from them, and yet when I hear them again I am as happy as I was the first time. Music has this influence on me. And, if the song has a great piano in it, I'm all the more happy.

Right now I can't write about politics, even though I'm thinking about politics, so if you are wondering what I am doing, I'm listening to "Tears & Rain" by James Blunt, "More Than a Memory" by Garth Brooks, "Hear You Me" by Jimmy Eat World, "Sincerely, Me" by Better Than Ezra, everything I have by The Wallflowers (Bringing Down the Horse, Red Letter Days Rebel Sweetheart, and Breach), and many, many more.

Every now and then it is just nice to sit, doing nothing, listening to music. I don't have that much time on my hands. Yet...

No comments :