Saturday, February 16, 2008

Smorgasbord Saturday

Having calmed down considerably since last night, I am happy to say my Saturday thus far has been very mellow. I had lunch with a friend, stopped at Uptown Books, went to the post office, ran over to Winco, and am now home contemplating a serious nap.

I received an email this morning from Tim Tagaris, the former internet director for Chris Dodd for President asking me to contribute to Dodd's effort to pay down his campaign debt. I thought this was interesting given Dodd's political schedule this past week. How does he have time to worry about campaign debt when he is waging a battle for the rights of Americans? Please visit Chris Dodd's campaign page to help him pay down this debt--if anyone deserves our support after this week it is hands-down Chris Dodd!

Next item of business from my inbox: Major League Baseball will be announcing the winner of the Ford C. Frick award for broadcasting on Tuesday. Nominees include Joe Morgan, Graham McNamee, Tom Cheek, Ken Coleman, Tony Kubek, Dizzy Dean, Dave Van Horne, Bill King, Joe Nuxhall, and Dave Neihaus. I'm guessing it is too early for Joe Morgan, any guy with the name McNamee right now won't get the vote, and Dizzy Dean of Cardinals fame has it in the bag. Of course there is always the possibility that Coleman will get it because his Red Sox have been hot in recent seasons. I can never nail down these kind of votes... Of course, my personal vote (if I had one) would go to Van Horne because I spent a lot of time watching the Expos prior to their demise in 2000.

Last night I found out that Google Maps streetview has Dealey Plaza listed. For those of you unfamiliar with Dealey Plaza, the site where President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963, the view seems to be from right on Elm (Kennedy's motorcade turned from Houston to Elm in front of the Texas School Book Depository). This was my first experience with streetview and I was absolutely amazed with the detail the view gives. My own photographs of the site in a panorama are nothing compared to this. Check it out!

I drove over to campus today to pick up my mail and was greeted with the pit in my stomach that always accompanies the sight of a lowered flag. Granted, since President Ford's passing I am far less observant of it, but today my heart ached at the sight of the flag that has been lowered for much of the week. Beginning with the passing of Representative Lantos, campus flags remained lowered upon news of the shootings at Northern Illinois University. Locally, the campus has been shocked by the sudden death of a thirty-three year old member of our faculty. Thirty-three years old and she died of a heart attack. It is always difficult to lose people in the prime of their lives, it just doesn't seem fair that that difficulty clouds our campuses more often than not lately.

Earlier in the week I spotted an item on the Washington Post website that I haven't been able to drag myself away from. The retreat of President Lincoln now stands as a sort of museum to the life and administration of President Lincoln. It is always refreshing to see the work of those who take historical preservation seriously. Be careful if you look at this that you don't click and drag too fast--especially if, like me, you are prone to motion sickness.

Forgot to mention earlier in the week this post over at the TV Guide website that gave a shout out to Mulder and Scully who are reportedly in the process of filming a second X-Files feature.

That's it. Merry Saturday!

No comments :