Friday, March 14, 2008

An Executive Decision

Last night, or I should say this morning, around 3 a.m. I made the decision to not enroll in summer school.

Yes, decisions made at 3 a.m. are not generally the most sound, but after much thought today, I think this is the best decision for me.

For the past three summers I have enrolled in summer courses. Last summer was a disaster as I hadn't properly healed from the events of the spring. The summer before that I had a great couple of classes and I enjoyed it. The summer before that was the summer of the three hours a day comparative politics course from hell. Luckily I had a class on the American Presidency that same semester or I would not have survived.

It is time for a summer off.

I haven't had a summer off from school since the summer between my freshman and sophomore years--the summer I went to Dallas and didn't have a job when I came home. That summer was bizarre. I painted a lot. Napped a lot. Read a lot. Was so unbelievably lonely living in a three bedroom apartment by myself with nothing more than a bottle of mustard in my fridge.

I should add that this was not an easy decision to come by because this means I will not be taking a graduate level class on the U.S. Constitutional Convention. However, I'm sure the professor would let me sit in from time to time and I would get the basics of the course without the obligation of doing any work whatsoever.

Though I won't be taking classes, I still will be on campus every day as I hope the lack of classes will allow me to focus on the formalities of wrapping up the Stallings Papers and preparing for the great adventure of writing my Master's thesis.

Also, since I first became involved with the Stallings Collection in January of 2006, I have never caught up. I have been behind in every one of my classes since then. It will be nice to not have that overwhelming feeling of needing to catch up.

Of course this executive decision rides on my Biology 100 grade and successful passage...

No comments :