Sunday, March 2, 2008

Frank Church Banquet

Tonight I had the pleasure of attending the annual Frank Church Banquet hosted by the Idaho Democratic Party.

It was a packed house at the Doubletree Riverside in Boise and Idaho Democrats were excited!

Taking the stage as the master of ceremonies, American Falls mayor Amy Wynn carried the show through the videos and speeches of candidates Larry LaRocco, Walt Minnick, and Larry Grant, a special presentation by Rep. James Ruchti honoring former IDP chair Richard Stallings, and a big surprise to the party--a $10,000 donation from the Coeur d'Alene tribe.

Bidding for a sports coat dating back to 1953 (so says former Governor Andrus), Markos of dailyKos took the stage and welcomed the excitement of Idaho Democrats. I can't think of a better speaker for a year when Democrats in traditionally conservative states are so energetic. The work of Markos has truly been a catalyst for the rising of the Idaho progressive blogosphere.

On a personal note, I get quite excited about these events when I can be in the room with my political and personal heroes. It was wonderful to see my former teacher and a man who I owe so much, Bert Marley prior to the event as well as to catch up with former Congressman Richard Stallings. I was honored to sit between two women I look to for inspiration, writing advice, and so much else--Jill Kuraitis of NewWest Boise (someone I've mentioned here before as both a writer and a mother I admire) and the ever talented and gorgeous Joan McCarter (mcjoan) of dailyKos.

Of course I will have much more to say about this later in addition to my reactions to finally meeting some of my fellow bloggers. And, yes, I'll get to those other topics I said I would before I took off for Boise. I'm just slightly behind...

4 comments :

Julie Fanselow said...

Ah, youth! A post at 1:08 a.m. I had hoped to post last night, too, but I'll be lucky to get to it this afternoon.

I was surprised to read in the Statesman just now that not only did Markos buy the ugly jacket (for $1250, not $1200 as reported), he didn't ask for a speaking fee. Very cool. Thanks, Markos!

It was a great night for Idaho Dems.

Wordsmith said...

I'm sorry I missed it. I wanted to meet folks - well, at least the bloggers. Ya know, the ole' face to the name or whatever.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Julie, it isn't so much youth as it is insomnia. A more informative (and meaningful) post to come once I return to Pocatello.

It was indeed a great night for Dems. I know I say this every time, but I find myself utterly overwhelmed with admiration when I am in the company of Idaho Democrats. Especially Stallings, Andrus, and Bethine Church.

However, my admiration for my fellow bloggers is growing at a steady rate and that overwhelming feeling I got last night was certainly in part from being surrounded by my fellow comrades and red state rebels!

slfisher said...

That was a nice gesture by Markos.

So what is Marley doing these days?