Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On Slowing Down

I can't help but think of Joan Didion every time I title a post similarly to "On Keeping a Notebook." I've been blogging for three and a half years now and I haven't got past that, wonder if I ever will.

A week or two ago I mentioned vices. Or I should say one vice, that which was squishing my head. Not literally, but it sure felt like it. Wonder of all wonders, I went to the eye doctor upgraded my specs and I was almost good as new. Almost meaning I had to quit chewing gum, too. Evidently a person can overwork their jaw. I'm a chewer. It's a nervous habit, I think. I can't be in the car for very long without needing something to chew on. Straws, chips, gum, sunflower seeds. Anyway, the doc says I need to stop chewing gum. And I have, but it hasn't been easy. For anybody who knows me well, me giving up gum is like most people giving up air. I sure love the stuff. I promise I have stopped. I have been gum-free for fifteen days now.

Somebody said to me in an email today that my randomness could be mistaken for the ravings of a mad woman. I assure you I am sane, kicking the gum habit is just an important feat in my life that I needed to share.

Now on to this slowing down business. The first weeks of February were particularly tough on me physically. I'm not sure I ever mentioned it, but the Monday before the Idaho caucuses, I came down with a particularly nasty kidney infection. Then, at five o'clock that Tuesday I still had a fairly high fever and decided to follow my doctor's orders and didn't attend the caucus. I hated being home. I hated missing such an historic event for Idaho. However, that Friday was the grand opening of the Stallings Collection at ISU and I had to be there. I had to be prepared for that. It was (and is) one of the greater accomplishments of my life thus far and I had to be there to honor the man behind such a significant donation to ISU. It was a long week and when Friday rolled around I was still only functioning at about 75%.

Once the Stallings opening was over, there were numerous deadlines to meet and various meetings on the horizon all leading up to the Frank Church weekend. I had many things to do, very little time, and subsequently the grand plans for blogging took a backseat.

Now that the Frank Church weekend has come and gone and Spring Break here in Pocatello is a few weeks away, my life is slowing down. What remains to be done with the Stallings papers is pressure-less and I can concentrate on just school work. It has been a very long time since I was able to concentrate (mentally, physically, etc.) on just being a student. I'll readily admit I haven't been the greatest student of late and I haven't been pleased with myself, therefor I am very happy with the slowing down that is occurring in my life right now. Very happy.

And I'm happy to see some of the Obama momentum slowing down a bit tonight...

7 comments :

Wordsmith said...

Teehee...

And I'm happy to see some of the Obama momentum slowing down a bit tonight...

I'm crossposting your Hillary Clinton promotion speech at another blog - referencing it actually.

(Tara, I hate these goddamned spelling tests!)

Update: I passed!

Tara A. Rowe said...

Let me know where you're cross-posting. I agree with you on the spelling tests...everytime I try to post at unequivocal notion it takes me 3 or 4 times!

Wordsmith said...

Oh yeah...just saw on Reuters, Clinton takes Ohio and Texas.....

slfisher said...

Well, I'm not. I started out as a Clinton supporter when this all started -- she just sounded so good and positive at that first debates -- but I've really been disheartened by her behavior the past few weeks. It reminds me of the way lobsters in a pot will claw each other down.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Lobsters really do that? Wow. (I'm not being sarcastic, I really didn't know this.)

Wordsmith said...

I didn't know that either. It does make sense.

Are you saying it's about desperation then, Sharon?

slfisher said...

I'm not sure what it's all about. All I know is that after being in favor of her earlier on, I will be really disappointed at this point if she gets the nomination, because it will be rewarding the sort of behavior we've been used to seeing from some Republicans. Call me idealistic, but I'd like to think we're better than that.