Saturday, March 8, 2008

Smorgasbord Saturday

I'm not in much of a Saturday mood. How can that be? Two things really, I didn't sleep much last night and there is snow on the ground in Pocatello today. I had great plans for a bike ride today. Guess that won't be happening...

Wonderful news via f-words, Sara has braved surgery, is healing, and as her husband said it, she is not going to die. We continue to root for you down here, Sara. Get well soon!!

Headline at the Washington Post this morning says President Bush has announced he will veto the ban on waterboarding and other "interrogation methods" used by the CIA and others. Sticking to his guns, he slipped in a quote about it restricting the war on terror. Scary, that's what this is. Between FISA, waterboarding, and all of the other ridiculous thing we've been forced to swallow on account of the war on terror it is a wonder we have any civil liberties left and we haven't all moved to Canada. At least they have universal health care.

Does anyone really think Hillary Clinton stands a chance in Wyoming today? Geez, if you do, you're smoking something.

NewWest is reporting this morning that Senator Mike Burkett will not be running for reelection to the Idaho Senate. I greatly appreciate Burkett's service to this state and his voice will be missed in the statehouse. Unlike so many other stories in the news lately, the scoop on this is he is simply retiring. Thanks for everything, Mike!

I sure wish a different senator would retire...

I've probably mentioned this before: I love junk mail. Real junk mail, the kind that comes in the post office box. Snail mail. Doesn't matter what it is, I'll look at it. Credit card offers, catalogs, campaign literature, surveys, and pretty much everything else. Problem is, I don't get much in way of junk mail anymore because most junk comes via email. Evidently I'm not the only one who has noticed a lack of junk mail being delivered by the United States Postal Service. In a Washington Post article this past week, the USPS addressed the $1 billion deficit as well as growing competition from UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc. I had always wondered what those companies did to business for the USPS, but it didn't occur to me that junk mail in my email inbox would contribute to the deficit of the postal service. You'll have to read the article to see what the USPS is proposing, I'll just say there is a mention of Starbucks.

No news on the fantasy baseball front. Yahoo! has still not assigned me to a league and still no draft. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. They better get with it, opening day is upon us. 17 days, 16 hours, and 58 minutes. Did you know there is an opening day song? Neither did I. Check it out!

That's it for this Saturday -- I think I need a nap.

No comments :