Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Taking Out the Trash

I noticed today that I had a nice backlog of posts I had started and left in draft stage for whatever reason. About ten, unfinished, unpublished posts. In an effort to clean up my account, I am hereby calling this array of "stuff" an official taking out the trash day.

In no particular order:

Did you know that pillows are only meant to last for 18 months? Evidently there have been studies of what lives in our pillows. Fungi and mites. I'm sleeping better already. Geez. I was reading something about which kind of pillows are best for different people (I'm working on my sleep hygiene) and there was a link to this piece about all sorts of pillows. All types of material, all sorts of firmness, it is bizarre really the number of pillows there are out there. Maybe my ignorance about pillows speaks volumes about my quality of sleep in general.

There is a very interesting case before the United States Supreme Court right now about gun ownership, specifically handguns. I've been following it closely not because I care about my own rights to gun ownership, but because in the 216 years of its existence, the Supreme Court has yet to offer a legal definition for the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Supreme Court has from time to time visited many of the other amendments, the first the most, and the fourteenth and fifteenth with the most significant rulings, but never the second amendment. At least not in the sense of defining for us what exactly our right to "keep and bear Arms" is. The case deals with gun ownership (handgun ownership) in D.C.

Oh no, no, no...Keith Olbermann just made a reference to the magnitude of speeches and the "sitting down" of Lincoln at Gettysburg in 1864. Oh no, no, no... It was 1863. November 19th to be precise.

There's been a letter to the editor floating in my account for awhile that I wanted to post on, but really whoever this person is does not deserve my analysis. He or she does, however, deserve my sharing this with everyone because it makes me chuckle. From the 1/4/08 Idaho Statesman:
Save tax dollars for those in need, execute murders

Idaho's elite resort club. It's all Free - lodging, three meals a day, cable TV, gym, library, clothing, laundry service, all medical, prescriptions and dental. How do you join this elite club? Just go out and murder someone like the young man that just stabbed his mother to death just because she was home. Most Americans would die (no pun intended) for these types of benefits. It will cost us taxpayers about $60,000 a year to house this young man in Idaho's prison. If he lives to 80 that will cost us $3.8 million. Now who is really getting punished? Him or us taxpayers? Save our taxes for the people that need it and use the death penalty. There should be no such thing as life in Idaho's elite resort club.

Val Rivers, Boise
The "execute murders" mistake was the authors, not mine. This editorial was followed by one titled, "Jesus would offer redemption to murderers."

Another editorial I spotted awhile back and really wanted to respond to with my own letter to the editor, but I haven't had the time or the patience for this stupidity, comes to us via the Twin Falls Times-News:
WWII internment camp was right to do

Regarding the letter from Ken Akagi in the Feb. 5 Times-News:

While I would hesitate to spar with one who is of the Japanese extraction, let me remind you that not all American citizens are loyal to the United States.

What is true is that many persons who were born in or had families in Japan are indeed very loyal to their country of birth, particularly when those family values have been instilled in them for centuries.

I feel that President Roosevelt and those who advised him did the only correct thing in establishing internment camps after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.

I will not verify the facts you state; it would be impossible to verify them - who is alive today to question or even argue the point with your College of Southern Idaho history professors, many of whom were probably not even born during that war?

History often changes what the facts were through the years.

As for there being 100-plus Japanese-American citizens who died fighting for the USA, what can I say? After all, there was well over a million Americans of every ethnic imaginable who died while fighting for this country. I salute them all no matter their race.

I believe that there should not be a special memorial such as the Hunt-Minidoka Camp in Idaho nor for any other internment camp in the United States. Let their names be remembered, yes, but as Americans who fought for and died for their country, along with the other millions of American men and women who fought and died.

In time of wars, what is the best for the country is not always best for the few. A decision was made, carried out and now, some 77 years later, is still being treated as if it was the wrong thing to do. It was not.

CLAIRE BROWN

Rupert
Some people. Makes me crazy. Problem is, most of the people who make me crazy are all in the same neck of the woods!

No comments :