Monday, April 28, 2008

Comment Catch-up

Over the past two months I have had various comments appear in my inbox from older posts as well as from readers who weren't able to, for whatever reason, get their comment to post. I thought I'd take a day to catch-up on those comments, some of which are very sincere and have gone without a response from me.

A comment on my post "Treating Addiction" from March:

Very good article. Yes, the real handling for drug addiction is detox and rehab. As the director of Novus Medical Detox, I daily see the ravages caused by prescription drug addiction created by doctors prescribing it to their patients and then the patients either continuing to obtain it or purchasing these drugs on the internet or the street. Probably the worst of these drugs is OxyContin--legal heroin.

Pain is real. I have had it much of my life first from polio and then from two surgeries. However, there are alternatives to painkillers and they must be tried first. Let's not treat the symptoms but the cause.

Prescription drug addiction is an epidemic and we must do everything we can to stop it before it overwhelms us. Education is a must.

We have to break the cycle of people going to prison for drug offenses, never handling their addiction and committing the same crimes over and over until they or someone else dies.

Steve Hayes
I greatly appreciated Steve's comments when they first came through and I continue to appreciate them today. His statement about pain being real, but alternatives to pain pills being out there is especially telling. I remain hopeful that the Idaho legislature in future sessions will address the issue of drug treatment (over the current mandatory minimum approach).

A comment following my post "One Last Roster Spot" also from March:
As I die-hard Mets fan and a Piazza fan I can tell you it's not Piazza's knees that went. He has had a notorious problem throwing runners out and it only got worse. He's also too old at this point for catching--he'll be 40 in September. He had a shortened year last year with the A's due to a shoulder separation, but prior was on track to have a good year as a DH.
Something I failed to mention in this post and that the comment addresses is the notorious shoulder problems catchers suffer. Aside from pitchers, catchers throw the ball more than any fielder. In addition to the constant throwing motion, throwing a runner out at second base is horribly hard on the shoulder. The quick, strong throw wears on the shoulder and over time catchers' shoulders separate and leave them with no throwing arm. Thanks to Karen, the reader who pointed this out.

Two comments following my observations at the Pocatello Community Charter School--both of these comments were rather delayed in relation to when I posted these observations:

Thank you for your support for PCCS. I am currently an 8th grade student attending the school and I am glad that we have some people out there who appreciate what our teachers do for us. In all of the other schools I have attended the sincerity at PCCS is by far the most genuine. Thanks again.
Alex Green
_________

Thank you for sharing your experiences with passages at PCCS. My children have attended PCCS since the school opened in 1999. It felt like a gamble sending my son to 1st grade at PCCS back then, but it has worked out better than I ever expected.

When I have served on passage panels, I am continually amazed at what the hardworking staff, parents, and most of all the kids are able to accomplish. I never could have stood up in front of adult strangers and gave a coherent presentation about my work. My education just didn't prepare me for that. In May PCCS is always looking for volunteers to server on passage panels, I'd encourage everyone to experience it.

It is sometimes difficult for me to find the words share the great things about PCCS with other interested parents and community members. Your keen observations and descriptions captured the essence or PCCS better than I could have.

Thanks for sharing.

Ben

On FISA 68-29:

What is the FISA bill? You did not tell us why we shoud be outraged.
Diane

Diane must have just come out from under a rock. No idea what FISA is? Maybe she doesn't watch the news. FISA, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, is the law governing how foreign intelligence information is obtained by the United States. Here's a place to find all sorts of information on FISA and why we should be "outraged."


OK, I will play devils advocate here. First thing is that baseball is a business. The Blue Jays watched Thomas have a horrible spring, and thus far in the season his numbers showed no signs of improving. Thomas also had it built into his contract a vesting option that would kick in if he achieved 376 at bats. That would have cost Toronto another $10 million, for a 40 year old player. His still has some power, but his overall hitting just isn't worth that anymore. The second thing is Frank Thomas has been a thorn in the side of team officials in the past. As he signed with Oakland a few years ago, he called out the GM of Chicago numerous times because he didn't like his treatment while a member of that team. With his statements of dissatisfaction and his actions, he appeared to be going down the same path. This action would have been much more of a distraction to Toronto than his bat could have possibly helped them. Now, I do think Frank Thomas has a better chance of finding a job than Barry Bonds. The only problem is there are not too many teams that could use him. Texas, Minnesota, and possibly Kansas City. Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, and Tampa Bay all appear to be using the position to give various players a day off from the field, allowing their players to stay fresh. Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, and Boston all have players who fill the DH role quite nicely. Of course this is baseball and you really never know what will happen, because how many of us really ever expected Rick Ankiel to come back after watching him melt down in the playoffs several years back.

Yes, I understand that baseball is a business. I understand that baseball is a big-money business. I agree that he threw a fit and that was uncalled for. There just doesn't seem to be much respect for the veteran players. The fact that I oppose the DH system entirely is a whole different issue...


I received an email Saturday in response to my recent child abuse post. Carolyn writes:

I tried to post on your blog, but it seems to be locked. I have Blogger, too, and usually even if it's anonymous it will show it's going to be screened.

Anyway, I questioned what solutions you offered. You told me the problem, but didn't offer a solution. Also, I was curious about your feeling about the connection between religion and child abuse. Certainly there, I'm not questioning that, just probably more than I understand.

First of all, I don't accept anonymous comments. I know that a few have asked why and a few question this policy, but I figure if people want to post a comment they will at least take the time to create a Blogger account. The are other options as well, like Open ID. I don't have a policy of moderating comments. Whatever comment you leave will be accepted unless it is spam or contains nudity (better not to ask why this is a rule).

Now the bigger issue, Carolyn is asking for my solutions to the child abuse problem in the United States. I don't have any solutions, the only remotely obvious solution I see is a better funding mechanism for the agencies that investigate accusations of child abuse and are required to make the move that will protect the child. And I don't like to comment on religion and child abuse and won't here.

My point wasn't to say I believe a, b, and c, should be addressed to decrease the number of child abuse cases in the United States. My point was that during the month set aside for child abuse awareness there sure seemed to be more high-profile child abuse cases than usual.

That's it. These are certainly not the only comments received in the past months, I don't feel the need to respond to all comments, but these caught my eye and deserved a response.


No comments :