Friday, April 11, 2008

danken Sie Gott, den es Freitag ist

As a few of you noticed last night, I've been a little out of it over here. I know the difference between the word tote and the word tout. When I typed it, the connection never formed in my brain. I never even noticed it.

If it hadn't been for press releases, the cut-and-paste kind that somebody is kind enough to write up and distribute for the IDP and the LaRocco campaign, there wouldn't have been much on my end but song lyrics this week. Original, I am not.

And it isn't for lack of options. This past week two Idahoans died in Iraq. The second, a graduate of Borah High School, hit me harder than the first. Twenty-three years old. I'll be twenty-three next month and to think that my peers are fighting and dying in this unjust war eats me alive. This past week there was a bit of a shake up in the first congressional district. I'm still not sure what to think of that. Nothing against Minnick, but I had been a Grant supporter.

I know from time to time I get carried away with non-political hobbies here. I know I've been extra excited for baseball season. I know I've been heavy on the music and youTube posts lately. None of these things are news to me. I deal with politics day in and day out in the Stallings Collection. It's taxing. As much as I love it, some days I am tired of the politics. And the final days of wrapping up the collection cannot come soon enough.

I'm finishing up what has been the worst academic year I've had since junior high. It has been awful and to be honest with you, I'm just trying to pass. Biology isn't my strong suit. And, as much as I love German, it wears me out. I'm ready to move on to other things. I'm ready to write my Master's thesis. I'm ready to find my focus. If I can just get through the next month.

All of this isn't helped at all by the fact that I can't sleep at night. Not sleeping is one of the most aggravating feelings a person can experience. As much as you want to, you can't. As much as you need to, your body (or brain) won't let you. It's awful. And to think I began this blog nearly four years ago to battle the chronic insomnia or at least to give me something else to do with my time...

Despite the accomplishments, for once in my life I completely understand the phrase "Thank God it's Friday!" Yes, indeed. Danken Sie Gott, den es Freitag ist.

3 comments:

Jared said...

I know the feeling Tara with your biology. I am failing my ancient political philosophy class. Scratch that. I have failed it. No matter what I do at this point I am getting a big, fat F. Not only is a class in my major, it is the first class I've failed in my life and I'm almost certianly (baring some miricle) going to lose my scholarship. Sometimes these things happen maybe to show us that aren't perfect (to say nothing of good) at everything. Helps remind me that education is a means to an end and not an end in and of it self. But it still hurts!

Tara A. Rowe said...

Jared, I couldn't pass ancient political philosophy if I tried! That's why History is my emphasis for my M.A., I don't have to take political philosophy! Thanks, though. Made me feel a little better. I swear Bio is going to be the death of me. There are freshmen in that class that come in hungover every day or don't show up and are doing better than me. It's ridiculous!

Jared said...

Unfortunatly at my institution we don't have many hungover freshman to skew the curve! At this moment I wish I had a dozen or so in the class to push me over the edge...