Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Four-Eyed Club

Huckleberries Online has an interesting comment on those belonging to the four-eyed club, i.e. those of us who require vision correction.

The discussion was brought about by an image of Senator Hillary Clinton trying on a pair of specs at a cafe in Louisville.

Now, I haven't the slightest idea as to whether or not Senator Clinton requires contact lenses (since she isn't often seen sporting glasses), but I suspect age and strain have left her in the fairly common position of requiring the assistance of reading glasses from time to time. I don't know if this is an attempt at saying Hillary Clinton is no longer a young woman, requiring reading glasses is not necessarily specific to age (I am twenty-three and wear regular spectacles, reading glasses, contacts, or any combination of the three every day of my life), or if it was just a brainless conversation to have about our first serious female candidate for the presidency. Regardless, I am annoyed.

My first question is, why should I care? Secondly, why does Senator Clinton trying on a pair of readers conjure up the question of if glasses make a man or woman any more or less attractive?

Are there not more important things in this campaign we can discuss?

No comments :