Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New Music Tuesday

The new 3 Doors Down CD dropped today. Also today, Scarlett Johansson, the actress-turned-singer, has the full Tom Waits tribute (?) out. Not sure what to think of it, but I do enjoy her voice.

All in all, it is looking more and more like it will be a great, long summer of new music.

Last week I failed to mention the new Death Cab for Cutie release, Narrow Stairs, which was recommended to me by Chris over at Unequivocal Notion, and it is fabulous!

Next week John Hiatt has a release, too.

However, my three most-anticipated summer releases drop on the 3rd and 10th of June: the long awaited solo album from Bush lead singer Gavin Rossdale, Wanderlust (6.3.08); the solo album of Wallflowers lead singer and son of Bob Dylan, Jakob Dylan's Seeing Things (6.10.08); and, the Canadian, Alanis Morissette's release Flavors of Entanglement (6.10.08).

Despite the fact that I've purchased Gavin DeGraw's sophomore album, Seven Mary Three's Day & Nightdriving, Augustana's Can't Love, Can't Hurt, the Missy Higgins album that came out in February, R.E.M.'s Accelerate and now Death Cab, all within a few months, I have five songs in a playlist on a loop and none of them were released this year. "Blinded by Rainbows" (Rolling Stones), "Far Away" (Nickelback), "Southwestern State" (Seven Mary Three), "Promise" (Eve 6), and "Lonelily" (Damien Rice).

Sometimes new isn't perfect right now.

4 comments:

slfisher said...

I'm really liking the new Matt Nathanson album. Check out some of his performances on YouTube. He's hysterical. I hope he performs here one of these days.

Tara A. Rowe said...

There is a song on the new album that I like, the name escapes me at the moment. I have Matt Nathanson's earlier album...fireworks something. Pretty good stuff. Sharon, how goes the campaign?

slfisher said...

Well, he has two 'hits,' Car Crash from a few months back and Come On Get Higher, which the River has in fairlyheavy rotation.

Campaign is going well. I'm kinda waiting for the Republicans to figure out who my opponent will be. I appeared in a candidate forum here in District 21 a week ago and got a lot of compliments on my performance, so I'm looking for more opportunities like that.

Right now I'm raising money and trying to figure out which of the 3,000 on my to-do list to do first.

Tara A. Rowe said...

"All We Are" was the song I was thinking of.