Saturday, May 17, 2008

Smorgasbord Saturday

I am keeping tabs on the status of Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) who was hospitalized this morning after what appears to be a seizure--at first reported as stroke-like symptoms. This morning felt unusually like the July morning I awoke to news that John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s plane had gone missing. I wonder if I, and other Americans, will always get this weird feeling whenever bad news comes across the wire having to do with any one of the Kennedys. Regardless of political philosophy, it is hard to ignore the political status and superiority of Teddy Kennedy. Updates as they come.

TV Guide
has their hot summer movies list up--nothing surprising with all the sequels and superhero movies--and they have wisely listed the X-Files: I Want to Believe movie as one of the top films they are looking forward to. I am surely not the only X-Files fan on the edge of my seat awaiting the second feature release from Chris Carter and especially with the tight lid they've kept on the plot. Hopefully the film can answer some of the many questions I have about the nine season run. July 25th can't come soon enough!

An interesting apology ran by Lee Family Broadcasting in the Magic Valley caught my eye this morning, the regional radio powerhouse is apologizing for encouraging students at Minico High School to participate in a protest that included wearing the colors of the Mexican flag to school after a Minico High School teacher tossed out a Mexican flag being waved by a Hispanic student in celebration of Cinco de Mayo. I would be willing to bet my life savings that Lee Broadcasting took some heat from community leaders on this one...

There was a story that made the Idaho reader section of the Idaho Statesman this week that caught my eye:

Author James Loewren's book called "Lies Across America" lists what he calls "The Top Ten Worst Historical Sites in the United States," and one of those sites is in the small south-central Idaho farm town of Almo.

Utah TV station ABC4 reports that historians say the massacre of 300 pioneers along the California-Oregon trail near Almo, for which there is a monument in town, never happened.

Residents say they are aware of what historians say, but the monument has "been in town so long, since 1938, that it is a part of their community."

What do you say to that? They have a monument to something that didn't happen, but they are keeping it around? Granted, Almo isn't a big place and the chance of this "tainted" history being wide-spread isn't huge, but what about all of us, students of Idaho history, who have believed the massacre story all this time?

While I'm on the topic of Idaho history (when am I not?) I thought I'd mention this post over at Red State Rebels that still has be wound tight--"Boneheaded Bush trips over Bill Borah's ghost." Minus me initially "tripping" over the concept of referring to William E. Borah, the Lion of Idaho, as Bill Borah, I was really happy to see Julie snag this story. And Joe Biden wins the prize for favorite person in the universe this week!

NewWest Boise has a new look--go check it out! I haven't spent tons of time on the site since it went down for the upgrade around lunchtime, but I think it looks really sharp. I still don't quite understand the in-house search engine or why when I use it I always get at least 300 results, usually unrelated to anything I've searched for, but I doubt that was part of the upgrade. Hey Jill and NewWest, could you give the Idaho State Journal some web design lessons?? Pretty please, with sugar on top?

No comments :