Friday, May 23, 2008

Unplugging

This Memorial Day weekend I am unplugging. I intend on having three days free of blogging, stress, and the Stallings Collection. Why? Not because I am going anywhere for the three-day weekend. Not because I have a whole list of things to do. Not because I'll have company over or anything else. Because I need three days off! In baseball it is what major league managers call a "mental health day." Three days for me. Three days to sit on the bench and watch the game as a fan, not as a player. Or to sit in the clubhouse and not watch the game at all. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

I need three days to clear my head; three days to get to a point where I stop second guessing myself on everything; I need three days to get the damn Colbie Caillat "Realize" song out of my head; and, three days to hopefully catch up on the sleep I've been missing desperately this week. I can count the number of hours of sleep I've had this week on both hands and I don't think that is a good thing. Less than ten hours of sleep total over the last four days. I could use three days of sleep, but that just isn't going to happen. I'd settle for a good solid four hours in one night. It's pathetic, really.

When I return late Monday night or Tuesday morning to the world of the blogging, you can look forward to posts on the Ted Kennedy situation, the Robert Dallek lecture I attended Thursday night at the Colonial Theater in Idaho Falls, an update on the holding (or withholding) of the Kempthorne papers by our former governor, and maybe even a note on the status of the Stallings papers that are readily available to the public unlike Mr. Kempthorne's papers.

Sounds like a decent slate of planned posts. I can assure you all that if I were to stay online and "plugged in" for the next three days the most informative post I could come up with would have to do with Lou Pearlman and Making the Band. Yes, I need a break!!

Here's hoping a "mental health day" (or three) doesn't cause me to make myself sick the way Braves right fielder Jeff Francouer did earlier this week when Bobby Cox gave him the day off. While sitting on the bench cheering on his teammates, he ate everything available to him. Between the bubble gum, sunflower seeds, and chew, he was so sick by the end of the night that he didn't know if he was going to be able to play the next day! Nine innings of consecutive eating of junk. I think I'll be just fine, I did quit chewing bubble gum after all...

No comments :