Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Middle of the Week Mélange

Yesterday afternoon and last night I got a total of fifteen hours of sleep. Today I almost feel like a new person. Still some back pain, tail bone pain, etc., but all in all, I'm in one piece. Nothing to complain about.

This is the week that nearly 22,000 Idahoans will see a pay raise due to the second phase of the federal minimum wage hike. $6.55 will be the federal minimum wage for the next year until the third phase of this hike. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how I feel about how little I get paid), I am one of the Idahoans to see this raise. Back in May I took a $3-an-hour pay cut so I could stay on with a project I've been working on for over two years, not a great time to take a pay cut with gas prices as they are, but they could have stopped paying me entirely and I would have still showed up to do the work. I know it isn't a huge hike, but every little bit counts.

Now that I have successfully made myself sound like the great Friar Tuck from the animated Robin Hood with that last sentence, onto something a little more political...

Via the blogs:
  • An interesting piece over at 43rd State Blues caught my eye yesterday. 123Idaho has a post titled, "Could an Obama presidency hurt black Americans?"
  • angryyoungwoman pounced on the story of Michael Savage going into attack mode against autism and autistic children. I'll have more to say about this tomorrow.
  • Go watch this video, brought to you by the unequivocal notion, and see what a true moron Wayne Hoffman is.
  • MountainGoat Report has a great post on the "demented" nature of Zeb Bell's radio show. (with audio)
Via the papers:
  • Popkey addressed the anti-Bush bus in his column.
  • LTE's cause a stir; can't help but find this comical.
  • Joy Morrison is retiring, sad day in Pocatello.

Somehow I failed to mention that Candlebox, competitor in the "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" contest on ESPN, has a new CD that came out yesterday. I don't have the full release, just the title song "Into the Sun," but I would highly recommend this CD. I hear if you purchase it from iTunes you get an exclusively released track. If you were a fan of Candlebox in their heyday, you'll like their new stuff. It's what you wish they could have been right before they fell apart.

Any guesses on Veep choices? I'm disappointed to see that Joe Biden isn't on the shortlist for Senator Obama. If I were in Obama's shoes, Joe Biden would be at the top of my short list. In fact he'd probably qualify as the entire short list. Maybe I should write up my reasoning one of these days...

No comments :