Tuesday, September 2, 2008

While I Listen to G'pa Fred...

The Republican speechifying is on and they've sent out their big guns (i.e. Fred Thompson and Laura Bush). Granted, their big guns aren't much anymore, but they can't send out their pro-choice comrades so they're left with the First Lady because the President can't show his face at the convention of his own party and they've sent out Grandpa Fred because, well, I'm not sure.

Believe it or not, I'm not posting tonight to rant about the RNC. I'm actually posting to give some what of an update on me. About time, I know.

I received a few emails today from readers, slightly mesmerized by my Labor Day linkfest, acquiring about my health. And then, low and behold I got a visit from Serephin himself. I am happy to report that the Kennedy sign d2 snagged for me last week in Denver is nestled in my nerdy abode. Not sure where it will live permanently, but you better believe I am keeping my eye on it!

So, to answer the email questioning and to repeat what I told Serephin, I am still at home, still without a mended back. Tomorrow I will be having a small procedure to correct a hangup that's been keeping me out of the operating room. Next week I will meet with the surgeon again and hopefully, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, will be having back surgery before the end of next week. Until then, I'm taking it easy, watching my blood pressure, and trying to not go insane.

It's beginning to look like it will be week five or six of the fall semester before I can return to campus for classes and my continued effort to complete the Stallings Collection. This certainly wasn't the plan, but what can I do about it?

My productiveness is measured in inches rather than miles. I'll take what I can get. I'll admit today my greatest accomplishment was stripping my bedding and hauling out clean sheets from the closet (I have yet to complete the feat). My sanity is in tact, though sometimes I wonder. I'm thankful for a tv lineup that has kept me entertained (Olympics, baseball, and both political conventions). Even more thankful for friends who drop in from time to time bringing smiles, reading material, and most of all human interaction.

I greatly appreciate all of the emails and phone calls asking about my health. Your well wishes are keeping me smiling as my patience is tried and my attitude tested.

I'll be around from time to time until the surgery FINALLY happens. And I'll try and keep you "posted." Now, if you haven't taken advantage of the completely random list of links below, please have at it.

No comments :