Saturday, November 29, 2008

In Stores Tuesday

In celebration of Tuesday's release of The X-Files: I Want To Believe on DVD, I've been watching a few of the better episodes of this groundbreaking show. The new film, despite its shortcomings, is the last installment in my own X-Files collection; all nine seasons, the first feature film Fight the Future, and the spin-off series, The Lone Gunmen, will soon be joined by I Want To Believe.

From a season three episode I caught this afternoon, The Blessing Way:
"I was first struck by the absence of time, having depended on it so completely as a measure of myself and my life. Moving backwards into the perpetual night - it consumes purpose, indeed, all passion and will. I come to you, old friend, with the dull clarity of the dead, not to beckon you but to feel the fire and intensity that still live in you... and the heavy weight of your burdens which I had once borne. There is truth you know, friend, if that's all you seek, but there's no justice or judgment, without which truth is a vast... dead... hollow. Go back. Do not look into the abyss or let the abyss look into you; awaken the sleep of reason and fight the monsters within and without."
Perhaps my opinion of the show was slightly tainted by the failures of the recent film or I simply hadn't spent enough time with some of these episodes in a while to appreciate them, but over the past few days I've found myself remembering how much I loved the wit, the philosophical dialog, and even the conspiracy theories.

The X-Files: I Want To Believe hits stores Tuesday, December 2, 2008. It is available for pre-order at Amazon.

No comments :