Saturday, November 15, 2008

Smorgasbord Saturday

A week from today will mark the forty-fifth anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas. Yet another team of scientists, this time assembled by the folks at the Discovery Channel, have recreated the assassination using "modern technology" and concluding that the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository was the "most likely" the point of origin for the gunshot that killed Kennedy in 1963. I honestly don't know why they keep doing these studies, the technology isn't progressing that fast and there certainly hasn't been a break through in the past ten years that warrants such a study. However, for those of you interested, there will be a special tomorrow night, "JFK: Inside the Target Car," revealing the findings of this recent study. The special airs on the Discovery Channel at 7pm (MST).

I'm hoping that in the weeks to come I'll have time to address the new hate crime statistics released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, until then I found this story particularly disturbing. Hate crimes can and do occur in surprising places.

The news has been flooded with speculation surrounding the potential pick of Senator Hillary Clinton as President-elect Obama's leader for the State Department. I find it odd on many levels that Obama is considering her, but I find it irritating on many levels as well. If Obama snubs Clinton again there are going to be a lot of former Clinton supporters who hesitantly offered their support and vote to Obama who will deeply regret they did. For a candidate who did so much to distance himself from the Bush and Clinton administrations, a candidate to promised change and bipartisanship, he doesn't seem to be moving too far away from the long-time political players. I personally have no problem with a Clinton pick for State, but I certainly have a problem with the Rahm Emanuel pick and several others that have revived the Clinton years. One choice I do not have a problem with at all is Ron Klain. This is a guy who has more than paid his dues and certainly deserves to be Biden's chief-of-staff. And with a guy like Joe Biden it helps to have someone familiar with him and with a proven track record of working well with the straight-shooting VP-elect.

As if I haven't reported enough by way of Major League Baseball, it seems there is more to say. First of all, I hate the Yankees. I hate the ego, I hate the payroll, I hate Yankees fans. I am not surprised that the Yankees came out this off-season with open arms to some of MLB's highest paid stars. The Yankees have reportedly reached out to C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe, and Jake Peavy. Now, if you haven't noticed around here, I had high hopes for Peavy in Atlanta. It doesn't look like that is going to happen and Peavy may be headed to the Cubs or Yanks. I'd like to see him stay in the National League. Although, it wouldn't be too awfully bad to watch the Yanks dish out bookoo bucks once again and then choke before the post-season... Whatever happens in the coming weeks, I'm hoping I don't have to watch Mark Teixeira or Jake Peavy wearing the pin stripes. For that matter, please no red socks in Beantown, either. Still no word on where Manny Ramirez will land for spring training.

Life without Miles of Music remains crappy, but here is a list of a few of this week's new releases and releases coming to a store near you in the weeks ahead: Taylor Swift, Fearless (11.11.08); Nickelback, Dark Horse (11.18.08); Blake Shelton, Startin' Fires (11.18.08); The Killers, Day & Age (11.25.08); and, Paramore, The Final Riot! (11.15.08). For the benefit of one of my readers, there's a new Tom Jones album coming soon, 24 Hours (11.25.08), and not as new, but worthy of a listen, The Script.

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

Adam said...

24 hours? good news.
sorry about peavy man, could be worse what's goin on with the randy dude? big unit?? wjat a stupid nickname.