Saturday, December 27, 2008

Smorgasbord Saturday

No new snow last night, but the wind is blowing and the weatherman tells me it is supposed to snow for the next three days. Needless to say, my car may be stuck in the driveway until the Spring thaw...

The fact that campus is closed until January 5th is killing me! If they hadn't shut off the heat in the library, I'd go to work without pay every day until campus reopens. And if my car wasn't plowed in. In the meantime I have quite a bit of time on my hands. I may even get out the watercolors, something I haven't done in, oh, four years! I downloaded a book to read as well. Pretty much have cleaned the house top to bottom, minus my desk that is generally a disaster.

In the time I've been home, I haven't been sleeping much, either. So, early this morning when I wasn't sleeping I took at look at Etsy, since Dooce is always raving about it and I found these hilarious magnets, bacon magnets no less. I find this funny because sometime last week a friend of mine in Dallas emails me a link to this guy's blog telling me that I will love it. My friend tells me that he thought of me because in his 'what I'm thankful for' post on Thanksgiving he mentioned bacon a half dozen times. Why would he think of me? Well, several years ago I was eating breakfast with some friends in Dallas and I had to get up and actually go outside because the strong smell of the bacon was making me nauseous. Bacon still does, but I found it funny that he would remember that part of the visit of all things!

Also while I have not been sleeping, I've managed to watch Swingtown, Kidnapped, and The Black Donnellys. If they weren't all single-season shows, I'd never have accomplished that feat, but still sleep would be good.

Looks like the Colorado Rockies will be another star short when the 2009 baseball season arrives. After trading away Matt Holliday, the Rockies are now saying goodbye to Willy Taveras, their star outfielder and base-stealer. The one time surprise National League champions had a rotten 2008 season with Troy Tulowitzki hurt and it doesn't appear to be looking up in 2009 minus their biggest stars. At least Willy Taveras is going to the Reds and not the Yankees. Don't even get me started on the matter of the damn Yankees' payroll!

Occasionally I check out the "recommended diaries" section at dailyKos and this morning I ran across a post titled "Why everyone should study slavery." The piece is by a college instructor who teaches a course on cultural anthropology. There is more to this story than simply another teacher doing a wonderful job, one well remembered and appreciated by a student. People everywhere face oppression, not just African-Americans and this post is perfect in the way in which it points out that we all share basic human struggles, struggles that have nothing to do with race.

I usually have an awfully indecisive time with music on Saturdays. I turn on the stereo and I go through a hundred CDs before I settle on something I could have told you I liked anyway. Except today that wasn't the case. I've been loving me some Eve 6. All day. Especially "Jet Pack." And it didn't take browsing through a hundred or so CDs to decide this. Progress...

Now that I think about it, there was absolutely nothing political about this smorgasbord. That's why they call it a smorgasbord? Happy Saturday!

No comments :