Saturday, January 3, 2009

Smorgasbord Saturday

Seems like it shouldn't be Saturday. That or it is the eighth Saturday in a row. Either way, weird Saturday around here. Unusually quiet, semi-productive and I'll admit now, not very original. More or less a round-up of things I've read over the last week.

One of the very few upbeat articles I've read about the upcoming World Winter Games of the Special Olympics was this short piece in the Idaho Mountain Express. The only thing it fails to mention is that a lot of the athletes and their families contribute as well--it isn't a free ride and it all will certainly boost Idaho's economy.

Have some extra Christmas cash lying around? Yeah, didn't think so. But if you can scape some together, please consider donating to Special Olympics.

I've yet to fully wrap my mind around (or stop laughing about) the editorial that appeared in the Wall Street Journal by Karl Rove about Bush being a book lover. Have we truly underestimated him all this time or are the Bushies making one last push for a salvageable legacy.

On the topic of the Bush legacy, I bookmarked this piece by Eugene Robinson from the Washington Post some time ago and think it is worth a read. For the most part I like Robinson's stuff. However, I do find myself weary of continued dedication to the Washington Post, MSNBC and Newsweek. Please, please don't become Fox News.

Speaking of Fox News, go check out the "Barack the Magic Negro" post at Left Side of the Moon. Heard all about this on Zeb at the Ranch this week; don't have much desire to comment.

The slumping Andruw Jones is still slumping and apparently the Dodgers have had enough with taking a chance on him. I hear Atlanta wouldn't mind another outfielder, Druw...

This is the second Saturday in a row I haven't had trouble with my music-listening selections. I've got a nice playlist going with 3 Doors Down "Here Without You" and "Be Like That," Avril Lavinge's "Things I'll Never Say," John Mayer's "Stop This Train" and "Love Song for No One," and KT Tunstall's "Other Side of the World" and "Heal Over." Over 5,000 songs at my disposal on this computer and I only need 7. Go figure.

That's all I got, folks. Merry Saturday!

6 comments:

Wordsmith said...

Well, Tara - how many more 'Saturdays' can we take? It's like screwing with your sense of direction (if you have one, which I don't a lot of the time).

And we know damn good and well Bush can only read upside down. No one will EVER convince me that man seriously reads. Just like no one will EVER convince me that Cheney did ANY fucking thing to protect this country.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I'm gonna hafta reign you in on those f-bombs, Wordsmith. But you're right on Cheney.

No, I have absolutely no sense of direction, so screwing with the days of the week is about as maddening as anything!

Wordsmith said...

Ya know, Tara - if we've discussed the f-bombs before, I've forgotten. Mea culpa; it's no problem. I certainly have my own space to f-bomb away. ;)

John T. Richards Jr. said...

When the "f-bomb" urge arises, forget Bush and Cheney (only a few more days anyway!) and think about Tara's mention of Special Olympics. No politics but the pure joy of bringing happiness to others and maybe yourself too. Contribute, go cheer'em on!...and for just a little while free yourself of the turmoil that surrounds us.

John T. Richards Jr. said...

Ohhh...and I do hope my Dodgers are able to bring Manny back into the fold.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Ohhhnooo...you're a Dodgers fan?! ;)