Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Ten

Since the unequivocal notion says everyone is doing a top ten list of the best albums of 2008, I thought, hell, why not? My list:
  1. Day & Nightdriving, Seven Mary Three
  2. Accelerate, R.E.M.
  3. Little Honey, Lucinda Williams
  4. Forth, The Verve
  5. Dig!! Lazarus Dig!! Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
  6. Detours, Sheryl Crow
  7. City That Care Forgot, Dr. John
  8. Can't Love, Can't Hurt, Augustana
  9. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings, Counting Crows
  10. Freedom, Akon

Ah, hell! I forgot (10) the Black Keys and I don't know who to boot off the list...

Hits: Releases I was looking forward to, but simply didn't exceed my expectations included Gavin DeGraw's sophomore release, the return of Pink, the recent Killers release and Jakob Dylan's solo album. The solo Gavin Rossdale album was very well done, but every song sounds like the typical former Bush front man. yes, I liked Bush and I love Gavin Rossdale, but it just isn't a CD I could listen to over and over again. Josh Radin, James Morrison and Jon McLaughlin had great releases this year, they just aren't up to par with those on the top ten list.

Misses: The return of Dido was a flop. I was awfully disappointed in Viva La Vida from Coldplay. Maybe it was just me, but I was expecting the majesty of "Clocks" and I got something that I felt was trying too hard to hit the radio.

The thing about 2008 that strikes me odd looking back at it is that the musical selections I generally would have made were so disappointing that I ended up liking things that were certainly not usual for me, take for instance the Dr. John and Akon picks. For all the advances in how we get our music, we sure have lost quality in the music we actually have released.

However, for everything 2008 wasn't, if everything that was released amounted to the latest Seven Mary Three album, I would have still been one happy camper!

3 comments:

Adam said...

AKON?? Are you serious?? musta been a crappy year if your listening to AKON! my picks; live in the lbc, ultra beatdown, 24 hrs and the new cold war kids one.

Tara A. Rowe said...

English! Live in the LBC is Avenged Sevenfold? I know Ultra Beatdown is Dragonforce since your very nice sister gave it to you for Christmas... 24 Hours does not count! And I haven't listened to the newest Cold War Kids release. Go check out unequivocal--I bet you'll like some of his picks much better than mine!

The Dead Acorn said...

James McMurtry doesn't make it? "Just Us Kids" wasn't as good as "Childish Things", but it's still dang good.