Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Specter Shock

My favorite living Republican is switching parties. Excuse me, I'm in shock. From Senator Specter's press release:
"I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am...I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides."
Sometimes party asks too much, indeed.

For more on this breaking news, NPR had an interview this morning with Specter and is currently running excerpts of his statement on changing parties.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

The Republican Party is not the same as it was years ago. It has evolved into a radical shell of its former self, so extreme that many of us ex-Republicans want nothing to do with it. Republipukes loss, Democrats gain. WAY TO GO SENATOR SPECTOR! Thanks for seeing the light! Now join the REAL PARTY!

Julie Fanselow said...

Who knows ... perhaps some moderate Republican Idaho lawmakers will take this as a cue that it's time to switch parties, too.